Was my motherboard actually dead? ( No )

After they suggested an H81M motherboard from Asrock for the price of 95€ plus installation (the motherboard retails for 45€ on Amazon) I brought home my poor hunk of metal defeated.

Welp, since I was at it and I had the time I decided to unscrew everything, remove Ram, Gpu, every single cable and put some new thermal paste on my cpu, and yeah, it works.

My take from this is that, if for no reason your pc won't start, after determining that the Psu, Ram, Gpu or whatever drive you have installed are not at fault, and you've determined that the culprit is the motherboard, you should try and start over (minus cable management, I wouldn't even dare to untangle everything after all the work I've done).

So yeah, thank you tech shop for not testing the motherboard alone, after I've suggested so.

Some shops just want your money...
Yesterday I had a fight with my sytem, becase it was locking up with 3 or 4 cores active, but it was running fine with 1 or 2. Hyperthreading didn't matter. I thought I fried the 3rd core, but when I plugged in a different HDD, it worked. 4 cores and all!
So I reinstalled windows on the main drive, and started reinstalling all my stuff. Unexpectedly, after a restart, it locked up again. Turns out the "easy OC suite" included with the motherboard completely crashes the system!
If I was less techy, I'm sure I'd have ordered a ryzen by now.
So you can't trust tech shops, nor the gigabyte ultra durable team.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

10 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

snip

How did you determine that your oc was influencing with your pc?

Maybe I should check that out, with Aida64 it has no problem sustaining the slight oc, but sometimes my pc still won't turn on right after I turn it off unless I leave it unplugged overnight.

I think it has to do with too much power needed for the start up, add components degradation and you have a perfect mix for a "dead" pc.

27 minutes ago, fear92 said:

Maybe I should check that out, with Aida64 it has no problem sustaining the slight oc, but sometimes my pc still won't turn on right after I turn it off unless I leave it unplugged overnight.

If you press the powerbutton for a few seconds while the powercable is detached / psu is off, the mobo wil drain its capacitors and coils in an effort to turn on, and you won't have to wait all night.
Maybe your mobo's vrm is on the weak side, and is getting tired of the work... I have a 990x board which always tries at least 2 times to post. My bet is that the vrms are kinda dying on it, because for a while I was pushing an fx8320 4.9G 1.44V oc on it.

Turns out it's not just my oc suite, it's all the motherboard's software utility. Any part of it crashes the system.
I have a z270 system and a 990x one, and when the z270 acted up, I booted it from the HDD of the 990x system. Completely different windows10 installation, which doesn't have these gigabyte utilities.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

17 minutes ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

snap

Guess I'll turn off my oc and idle on stock till I'll jump onto a new generation.

I tried the power off trick but it never worked, maybe somehow some components of the motherboard still hold some charge, and it triggers the safeties of the motherboard. ( for reference it's an Asus z97m plus )

1 hour ago, fear92 said:

How did you determine that your oc was influencing with your pc?

I think it has to do with too much power needed for the start up, add components degradation and you have a perfect mix for a "dead" pc.

When in doubt it's always a good idea to reset the bios you can save your configuration to a flash drive in the event that it's not the overclock but starting fresh is always a good idea when dealing with phantom issues

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

33 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

When in doubt it's always a good idea to reset the bios you can save your configuration to a flash drive in the event that it's not the overclock but starting fresh is always a good idea when dealing with phantom issues

The oc was done with Asus Ez flash, it's quite easy to reset and overclock again whenever I want to, it'll be the first thing that I'll do when I'm home.

Will report my findings tomorrow.

20 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

snip

19 hours ago, mrbilky said:

snap

After a long 3 hours of "Getting Windows ready" I set my cpu on stock, pc is working fine but I don't think that was the problem.

It looks like that I'm not able to turn it on only if I'm not able to shut it down from the start menu.

For example if I have the "Getting Windows ready" and I force the shutdown because I hope that'll fix the 1+ hour of waitig ( for anyone reading, it doesn't ) even if I remove the plug and press the shut down button for 30 sec I still have to wait around an hour before trying again to turn it on.

To reiterate I have tested the psu at the tech shop and wattages / voltages were fine.

So yeah I think I'll go on with this small stump for a while, hoping to reach the 4 years mark of usage.

Good luck me and thank you guys for the support.

4 hours ago, fear92 said:

After a long 3 hours of "Getting Windows ready" I set my cpu on stock, pc is working fine but I don't think that was the problem.

It looks like that I'm not able to turn it on only if I'm not able to shut it down from the start menu.

For example if I have the "Getting Windows ready" and I force the shutdown because I hope that'll fix the 1+ hour of waitig ( for anyone reading, it doesn't ) even if I remove the plug and press the shut down button for 30 sec I still have to wait around an hour before trying again to turn it on.

To reiterate I have tested the psu at the tech shop and wattages / voltages were fine.

So yeah I think I'll go on with this small stump for a while, hoping to reach the 4 years mark of usage.

Good luck me and thank you guys for the support.

How does it react to sleep mode?
I think I'd get another board. Since it's not a high-end one, it shouldn't be too expensive, though I understand if you don't want to throw money out the window like this.
Or try to borrow one from somewhere. Maybe in a local IT shop they'd be willing to help you test your hardware, just like you tested the PSU. Another source might be the IT group in your workplace. I bet they have some old working motherboards laying around.

12 minutes ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

How does it react to sleep mode?
I think I'd get another board. Since it's not a high-end one, it shouldn't be too expensive, though I understand if you don't want to throw money out the window like this.
Or try to borrow one from somewhere. Maybe in a local IT shop they'd be willing to help you test your hardware, just like you tested the PSU. Another source might be the IT group in your workplace. I bet they have some old working motherboards laying around.

The local IT suggestion was an H81 motherboard for 110€ (assembly included) but I can find the same one for 41€ on amazon, it might not be a High end one but good luck finding a new one for cheap (talking about z97).

At this point in time ( even if money is not a problem ) I'd prefer to limp my way towards a new generation of cpus and gpus, everything is working fine I can game I can browse and everything mildly intensive so theres no worry.