Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013 review.

JoshuaTjandra

Here is my short review of the BWU 2013 after 3 months of use.

THE GOOD

Lighting

Lighting is the best I have seen on a keyboard, the green plate bewlow the keys caps makes all the difference, the light reflects off of it and illuminates the area around the keys caps, the best way i can describe is it gives the key caps a "floating" look, as if there was no backplate at all. Brightness adjustments are great, around 15 levels of brightness which is more than enough.

LESS lighting options than the Ducky Shine 3

kvGfH7kl.jpg

(PIC does not represent the awesomeness of the lighting)

Software and Macros

I am going to get flamed for this, but the software is the best I've had on a keyboard, it allows me to use the macros to control my other razer products, such as dpi adjust on my DA2013, Macros are easy and painless to set up, currently I have it to open frequent programs, and Invoker Spells, Courier control in DOTA2. I have never used macros before but now I use it almost all the time. Synapse is actually good once you get past the sign up phase, set certain modes for games which automatically activate when you launch it.

EYS8D5Cl.jpg

Build Quality

Braided cables are good, keyboard has no flex, I have not used this keyboard outside of my house, so I cannot say about it's durability when going to LAN parties. not much to say here.

Layout

Standard. Long shifts and delete, no Linus cardinal sins committed.

THE BAD

Finish

Though much better than logitech's G710+ glossy finish, the coating still attracts fingerprints and other oily substance, very hard to remove, removal with alcohol still leaves some streak marks

dY3z429l.jpg

Options

Razer does not give any options to switch and lighting preference, 50g Blues with green backlight, I would love to see more options here or at least a mode to switch LED colours at this price point.

CONCLUSION

Overall i think this is a good product, I purchased mine for $129.99 CAD, $10 cheaper than a Ducky Shine 3. 

If you like green backlights, macros and advanced software tweaking, then the BWU2013 is for you, however it has less usability without the software.

I personally prefer the BWU2013 to the DS3 mainly for dedicated macros and razer's Synapse

Don't accept "RAZER SUCKS!" blanket statements, though they might be overzealous in terms of their marketing BS, some of their products are legitimately good, namely the BWU2013 and DA2013 from my experience.

Thanks for checking out my review!

*Hides from ducky loyalists*

really awesome keyboard i ve got one

and th ebuild quality is just awesome

most razer products are not that great but this is a really good quality keyboard

i like it alot

Don't accept "RAZER SUCKS!" blanket statements, though they might be overzealous in terms of their marketing BS, some of their products are legitimately good, namely the BWU2013 and DA2013 from my experience.

I'll second that. BWU2013 is a fantastic product and along with the deathadder, makes an almost perfect gaming combo. Never had a product of their's break on me even after a couple years with my DA so don't listen to RAZER SUCKS, just some butthurt 12 year olds following along someones chants because they were unfortunate to get a DOA, just as likely to happen with any other mouse/peripherals brand. Would love a cherry mx brown version though, as blues are very loud at night when everyone is asleep...

I'll second that. BWU2013 is a fantastic product and along with the deathadder, makes an almost perfect gaming combo. Never had a product of their's break on me even after a couple years with my DA so don't listen to RAZER SUCKS, just some butthurt 12 year olds following along someones chants because they were unfortunate to get a DOA, just as likely to happen with any other mouse/peripherals brand. Would love a cherry mx brown version though, as blues are very loud at night when everyone is asleep...

The BW tournament edition is brown, but i believe it's tenkeyless.

EDIT*

Nevermind, it's blue for 2013, but i think 2012 was brown

Thanks for posting a detailed review, sine a lot of people tend to completely degrade Razer products without any explanations.

130CAD?This thing is $250(USD) here!Fucking Europe man...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

More like 150 €...

But I agree with the review. Good build quality, may as well be used as a weapon. While mine is non-ultimate, as I never use the computer in the dark- I think it's harmful to the eyes- I think still everything applies. Including the fingerprint attracting finish :( . Love the switches. But what bothers me, is the fact that letters on keycaps take some getting used to. Everyone (mom, dad, sister) complained about their unusual font. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

More like 150 €...

But I agree with the review. Good build quality, may as well be used as a weapon. While mine is non-ultimate, as I never use the computer in the dark- I think it's harmful to the eyes- I think still everything applies. Including the fingerprint attracting finish :( . Love the switches. But what bothers me, is the fact that letters on keycaps take some getting used to. Everyone (mom, dad, sister) complained about their unusual font. 

I really have no ideea what keyboard to get: CM TK w/ reds,CM Ultimate w/ browns or a CM TX w/ blues. ;_;

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Nice Review, but I guess I'll never have an opinion on Razer until I buy one of their products.

I love Razer as a company, but the BWU 2013 just doesn't measure up in build quality to a Ducky once you touch one, Lightning Options are always a + since it's up to you whether or not to use it too, so that's my only gripe with your review. Nonetheless, the backlighting is indeed one of the best in the market! Razer Synapse is very good as a macro software as well, the only con to it is when it botches up occasionally which is annoying.

Good review overall, just that a tad of sour grapes against Ducky leaked and taking sides is never good for a review :P

~Owner of a DA, and almost-an-owner of a BWU2013 until Ducky appeared.~

I've had my black widow ultimate since launch so about a year now and I've had 0 problems with it, it looks and feels great.

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

im getting a blackwidow tournament edition and i cant wait! i really dont need the numpad so why pay so much more for a full sized blackwidow? but then again im kinda dissapointed that the tournament edition isnt backlit

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

The BW tournament edition is brown, but i believe it's tenkeyless.

EDIT*

Nevermind, it's blue for 2013, but i think 2012 was brown

Nope, i have 2012 and its all blue.. this is how they do it

Normal[insert year]- blue switch+ no lighting+ no usb&sound interface

Ultimate[insert year]- blue switch+ lightinig+ usb&sound interface

Turnament[insert year]-blue switch+tenkeyless+no lighting

Normal,Ulitmate,Turnament STEALTH [insert year]- like the others, brown switches

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

I got my Blackwidow Tournament edition a few months back, and I love it. I hate it when people blindly hate on Razer.

i want to get the blackwidow tourny stealth but people say the detachable usb is loose when u plug it in the keyboard and comes out easily, confirm?

i want to get the blackwidow tourny stealth but people say the detachable usb is loose when u plug it in the keyboard and comes out easily, confirm?

Nope, the connection is firm and you have to actually try to get it unplugged. I've never had an issue with it.

One of the reasons why I've always maintained that the BWU 2013 is a bad buy is because, in my neck of the woods, a BWU 2013 costs more than a DS3. It's priced at almost the same price as a Topre Type Heaven (only a Razer fanboy would buy a BWU 2013 over a Type Heaven or a DS3).......so, it's a terrible buy here. IF you can get one for cheap, that's the only reason why I'd even consider one is that it MUST be cheap (dirt cheap at that!), then yeah, why not? Though I've a strong dislike for Razer keyboards, I've always said that they make decent keyboards, just not worth their asking price.

BTW, good review by TS....though some might disagree with you about Synapse.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

From the images I've seen, this lights on this keyboard could stop ships from crashing into cliffs. It could just be the overexposure from cameras. How is the back lighting? Not too bright? Is it a good even glow?

i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB | Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB | Seasonic 660W Platinum | Corsair H100i

Logitech G400s | Ducky Shine III Cherry MX Brown

From the images I've seen, this lights on this keyboard could stop ships from crashing into cliffs. It could just be the overexposure from cameras. How is the back lighting? Not too bright? Is it a good even glow?

Thats due to overexposure, I took it with my HTC one which exaggerates the lights. Also I think I mentioned it had 15 levels of brightness so you could have it to your liking. Its a good even glow since all keys are individually back lit 

You should give any update with 6 month or 1 year review, I want to see if this new blackwiddow can survive like his old brother which is the old one. And that matte finish, I never knew it still be annoying like that, every review always said it never attract any fingerprints.

Great review, I own one, and the only thing I dislike is that it's heavy and kinda large and the only reason for that is because I travel with my PC a lot. But I'm working on a portable build and I will be going with another keyboard for that.

You should give any update with 6 month or 1 year review, I want to see if this new blackwiddow can survive like his old brother which is the old one. And that matte finish, I never knew it still be annoying like that, every review always said it never attract any fingerprints.

I've had mine for roughly 6 months and it's still going strong. Mine doesn't attract finger prints to the point to where it's a problem, I actually have to look for me to notice them. 

More like 150 €...

I actually love this font, I thought it was neat :) 

They could. It does get pretty bright, I run mine on the 2nd or 3rd setting. 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

I got the normal blackwidow for 1/2 the cost of the ultimate (I bought it on sale) the normal blackwidow is the same as the ultimate but without backlighting, which means the key printing can rub off, but either way its better than a membrane.   However one bad thing I think should be added is the fact that the newest drivers and macro is buggy, if you tap to many keys at once Windows will go nuts and auto press keys, so I think its the drivers or Razer Synapse. 

The BW stealth is browns :D