A Desk PC

Mo Money

Hi, I'm Mo Money and my goal is to make a desk PC. I've looked at the Linus video and many others similar, but they were a bit too flashy for me. I want a minimal look. I was browsing the internet for ideas till I ran across this build. The current desk I have is horrible, too small and just not right for me. I am capable of doing the wood working part, but I cannot do the PC side of things. What I was going to do is make one huge drawer and fit everything inside of it. I was looking at plates and things I could mount my parts to but found zip. Plus I don't want to do too much metal related things that are shown in this video.

What I need help with:
Figuring out how I will mount my current PC parts into the desk.
What additional cables and things I will need. Such as the cable that goes from the graphics card to the motherboard (I don't know what its called).
Where I would put fan exhausts and intakes. 
What kind of fans I would need etc. 

Please keep in mind this project is very bare bones currently and I have a few other more PC knowledgeable people helping me.

Unless the budget is seriously restricted, the easiest way of doing this is to find an inexpensive pc case. Remove the case skin(s) and mount it in a drawer that has 3cm - 5cm clearance on all sides and top. The back of the drawer will need venting. The drawer front will need an opening for access to the control panel - power switch, audio, usb.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

yeah like brob suggest taking a scrap case and cutting it up to use the motherboard mounting is an option. you can also buy a box standoffs on ebay and just drill holes in the wood bottom of the drawer to put them in (wood preferably being half inch thick here) either nylon or brass standoffs are available. you don't really need to worry about the extra grounding this would usually provide in a normal case, it's not a significant issue unless you're in a very very static prone location and you could easily zap your hardware opening the drawer (you would know if you zap doorknobs all the time).

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah like brob suggest taking a scrap case and cutting it up to use the motherboard mounting is an option. you can also buy a box standoffs on ebay and just drill holes in the wood bottom of the drawer to put them in (wood preferably being half inch thick here) either nylon or brass standoffs are available. you don't really need to worry about the extra grounding this would usually provide in a normal case, it's not a significant issue unless you're in a very very static prone location and you could easily zap your hardware opening the drawer (you would know if you zap doorknobs all the time).

How would I go about getting the USB and stuff like in a normal case near the front of the desk where I could probably cut out a little area for it.

1 minute ago, Mo Money said:

How would I go about getting the USB and stuff like in a normal case near the front of the desk where I could probably cut out a little area for it.

oh for that if you buy a scrap case all the cables are there you can unscrew them out and mount them in your drawer

you can buy the cables on their own but it's more expensive than buying a 25$ case

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

If you want a good desk pc I would spend time and not rush building it. But I would take borb suggestions and get your self some old cases