Cpu stuck pls help

Bennettboy9
2 minutes ago, Bennettboy9 said:

U can see by the pic..... yeah

image.jpg

carefully grab the edges without touching the pins and twist the cpu side to side

the sticking between the heatspreader and your cpu will have stopped and you can safely place your cpu back in the socket where it came from

just twist it off.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

So the cpu is stuck to the heatsink.  Try using some denatured alcohol, beer won't do it, alcohol content not high enough.  Put some alcohol in a small bowl or tupperware dish and set the cpu in it and let it soak.  The alcohol will eventually loosen the thermal paste and you will be able to remove it.  Don't forget to use thermal paste when putting the system back together.

Just now, kb5zue said:

So the cpu is stuck to the heatsink.  Try using some denatured alcohol, beer won't do it, alcohol content not high enough.  Put some alcohol in a small bowl or tupperware dish and set the cpu in it and let it soak.  The alcohol will eventually loosen the thermal paste and you will be able to remove it.  Don't forget to use thermal paste when putting the system back together.

oh ffs, JUST TAKE IT OFF. It's not going to self destruct...

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

oh ffs, JUST TAKE IT OFF. It's not going to self destruct...

I would much rather it come apart without having to force it.  The more you try and force things, the higher the chance of something going wrong.

This happens to a good 99% of PGA cpu's, just twist it gently and it'll come off.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

This happens to a good 99% of PGA cpu's, just twist it gently and it'll come off.

It won’t twist lol

Grab a pair of pliers and pull it off. Just kidding lol.

I have a very firm grip and hold one side and push with a flat head screwdriver.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

I would much rather it come apart without having to force it.  The more you try and force things, the higher the chance of something going wrong.

have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

I feel as if I am the 500 year old soldier...

IT'S NOT GOING TO BREAK.

System specs:

Just now, Bennettboy9 said:

It won’t twist lol

How long has the cooler been mounted to it? I'd have to guess some error with installation if it won't even twist.. or some really, really old thermal paste.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, Bennettboy9 said:

It won’t twist lol

may be try some plastic prying tool, those that are used for screen replacement. and alcohol is a good idea if its really stuck

8 hours ago, knightslugger said:

have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

I feel as if I am the 500 year old soldier...

IT'S NOT GOING TO BREAK.

Use Gatorade as a solvent.... it has electrolytes... it's what the CPU needs.

But honestly, twisting will get it off. A bit of isopropyl alcohol will loosen it if necessary.

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Don't worry about using rubbing alcohol. It's safe to use on computer parts. Just give it a bit to evaporate before installing it back in.

you got a hair dryer? try warming up the area around the CPU, it's generally suggested to run the PC for a little while before shutting down and IMMEDIATELY removing the heatsink and when removing the heatsink twist it BEFORE lifting, but none of that will help you right now aside from warming it up.