dekstop ryzen 7 on a laptop for $1500, why is there no buzz over this thing?

so basically i was curious cause i remembered a rumor abouut ryzen notebook chips being in the works and i wanted to look at what info was available, i then stumbled across this thing (and at a surprisingly low price) which has great specs across the board with my only complaint is that it has the 4gb 580 instead of a 8gb 580 which isn't the end of the world when you have an octo core laptop

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201711AM170000001

but then i realized no one was taking about this thing and i have to ask why with everything it has at a really good price point compared to intel laptop cpus which always have i7 K or i7HK which don't competent with this (idk a solid i7 HK laptop around $1500, and even then it only has 4 cores)

3 minutes ago, General Winter said:

so basically i was curious cause i remembered a rumor abouut ryzen notebook chips being in the works and i wanted to look at what info was available, i then stumbled across this thing (and at a surprisingly low price) which has great specs across the board with my only complaint is that it has the 4gb 580 instead of a 8gb 580 which isn't the end of the world when you have an octo core laptop

but then i realized no one was taking about this thing and i have to ask why with everything it has at a really good price point compared to intel laptop cpus which always have i7 K or i7HK which don't competent with this (idk a solid i7 HK laptop around $1500, and even then it only has 4 cores)

Yeah I think people are just disappointed over the 4GB 580. Although if you just wanted a sick mobile workstation this would be high on my list.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, General Winter said:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-rog-strix-gl702zc-g702zc-s7zc-with-ryzen-7-1700-8-core-cpu-and-a-radeon-rx580-gpu.805386/

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, General Winter said:

As some how workt as a seals man ware people 80% did not anything about pc's they always want a core I7 with 8 GB. and if the public doesn't pick it up it won't get attentions easy ... and its fucking sad becas 8 FUCKING CORES BABY  B|

2 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

Thats a tech form :/ not main stream media

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah I think people are just disappointed over the 4GB 580. Although if you just wanted a sick mobile workstation this would be high on my list.

im honestly wondering if i could swap the gpu out

i didn't take an opportunity to get a mobile 1080 for around $400 (it was ebay and no one was bidding on it, but i hadn't the money to burn on a gpu i couldn't use) but if i went back in time, got that and then this laptop; switched the gpu, it would be amazing assuming the cooling would be good for it which i can't say since i'd imagine you'd need more cooling for the cpu since its desktop grade

Just now, General Winter said:

i didn't take an opportunity to get a mobile 1080 for around $400 (it was ebay and no one was bidding on it, but i hadn't the money to burn on a gpu i couldn't use) but if i went back in time, got that and then this laptop; switched the gpu, it would be amazing assuming the cooling would be good for it which i can't say since i'd imagine you'd need more cooling for the cpu since its desktop grade

Yeah I guess you'd just need to be sure it was the same MXM version/form factor(?)  If that laptop even uses an MXM GPU.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

desktop cpu's in laptops is something that is a very small market. not a lot of people want that, or are interested. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah I guess you'd just need to be sure it was the same MXM version/form factor(?)  If that laptop even uses an MXM GPU.

fuck that, i use my laptop more for work than gaming and a 580 is fine for general gaming so i would've gotten this over my 1070 laptop even if it is bigger i would've just gotten a bigger bag to compensate really

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

desktop cpu's in laptops is something that is a very small market. not a lot of people want that, or are interested. 

its not because generally mobile cpu's are more energy efficent and easy to cool

but machines with dual 1080's and i7 HK processors get more press than this octo core workhorse; im honestly suprised linus hasn't done a review of this but got an imac pro for the 10gb/s ethernet port it had (i know he'll do a review on it and get his money back from that ) , point being if he can get that he can get the $1500 octo core laptop

Just now, General Winter said:

its not because generally mobile cpu's are more energy efficent and easy to cool

but machines with dual 1080's and i7 HK processors get more press than this octo core workhorse; im honestly suprised linus hasn't done a review of this but got an imac pro for the 10gb/s ethernet port it had (i know he'll do a review on it and get his money back from that ) , point being if he can get that he can get the $1500 octo core laptop

maybe he's planning on doing a review. remember he's in Canada, and sometimes it takes a while for products to be released or shipped there. 

She/Her

55 minutes ago, General Winter said:

That's not possible. Asus uses only BGA gpus

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, General Winter said:

There are laptops with a 8700K desktop cpu and SLI of GTX1080 too :D

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

There are laptops with a 8700K desktop cpu and SLI of GTX1080 too :D

could you show me, i've actually never seen desktop CPU's in laptops besides the most absurdly bulky ones (im actually surprised the acer 21x doesn't have a desktop CPU for its massive size)

25 minutes ago, General Winter said:

i've actually never seen desktop CPU's in laptops

Budget: W650KJ1, W650KK1

Splurge: P751TM, P775TM, P870TM

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, General Winter said:

no one was taking about this thing

Because the GL702ZC has too many issues like wrong GPU decision, loud fans, high inner and outer temps etc. Some minor issues are slightly heavy and thick, extremely short battery life and the slightly high price point.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Because the GL702ZC has too many issues like wrong GPU decision, loud fans, high inner and outer temps etc. Some minor issues are slightly heavy and extremely short battery life.

i think its meant more for a portable workstation vs. being a gaming laptop

i don't see how these impact the machines outlook vs. its competition in CPU power, Ram, and price (most of which would even could compete(but with half the core) have virtually all of the same mentioned issue, but those get tons of press comparatively [probably for the gpu's, but this has the opposite focus] )

i think its meant more for a portable workstation vs. being a gaming laptop

Exactly, that's why AMD RX GPU is a wrong decision since their efficiency isn't impressive compared to Nvidia Pascal and the focus of the laptop isn't gaming, it's about workstation. A cheaper Pascal GPU like 1050 or 1050TI is a better choice IMO, much efficient, less heat and noise, probably lower price too. Don't forget some programs use CUDA acceleration.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Exactly, that's why AMD RX GPU is a wrong decision since their efficiency isn't impressive compared to Nvidia Pascal and the focus of the laptop isn't gaming, it's about workstation. A cheaper Pascal GPU like 1050 or 1050TI is a better choice IMO, much efficient, less heat and noise, probably lower price too. Don't forget some programs use CUDA acceleration.

i don't think the gpu makes noise (its the fans) , i assume they figured they'd need noisy fans to cool this cpu down so what was the most powerful gpu they could get in it for the price to give it some gaming on the side

idk about CUDA thing though

Honestly that thing is a beast I might look into getting it sometime in the future since I would pretty much use it as a mobile workstation.  Sides my Switch is my primary portable gaming device now in days anyways.

snip

Yeah I mean the fans. CPU cooling is enough (3 heatpipes which is a bit overkill), it's the GPU problem, that's why I said wrong GPU decision.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

11 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Yeah I mean the fans. CPU cooling is enough (3 heatpipes which is a bit overkill), it's the GPU problem, that's why I said wrong GPU decision.

but whats wrong with the gpu particularly; amd cards are pretty power efficient compared to their nvedia counterparts (i don't know the exact specs off the top of my head so sure me if im wrong but the 580 hits the nail between powerful and power efficient from what i've heard)

11 hours ago, LordTaco42 said:

Honestly that thing is a beast I might look into getting it sometime in the future since I would pretty much use it as a mobile workstation.  Sides my Switch is my primary portable gaming device now in days anyways.

i have a switch too, but it can't play like dark souls 3 or any MMO for instance; though if i could go back i probably would've gotten this over the laptop i have even though the 1070 is a better gpu cause a 580 could probably run everything i play anyway at 60hz

18 hours ago, General Winter said:

could you show me, i've actually never seen desktop CPU's in laptops besides the most absurdly bulky ones (im actually surprised the acer 21x doesn't have a desktop CPU for its massive size)

Clevo N350DW  kabylake desktop cpu+ no dgpu

Clevo N650DU  kabylake desktop cpu+no dgpu

Clevo W650KJ1  kabylake desktop cpu+ gtx1050

Clevo W650KK1  kabylake desktop cpu+ gtx1050ti

Clevo N950KP6  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo N950TP6  coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P750DM2 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P750DM3 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P750TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P750TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P750TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1080

Msi 16L13/Eurocom Tornado F5  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Msi 16L13/Eurocom Tornado F5  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1070

Msi 16L13/Eurocom Tornado F5  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1080

Clevo P775DM3 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P775DM3 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P775DM3 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1080

Clevo P775TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P775TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P775TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1080

Clevo P870TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P870TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ SLI gtx1070

Clevo P870TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1080

Clevo P870TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ SLI gtx1080

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

Clevo N350DW  kabylake desktop cpu+ no dgpu

Clevo N650DU  kabylake desktop cpu+no dgpu

Clevo W650KJ1  kabylake desktop cpu+ gtx1050

Clevo W650KK1  kabylake desktop cpu+ gtx1050ti

Clevo N950KP6  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo N950TP6  coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P750DM2 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P750DM3 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P750TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P750TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1070

Msi 16L13/Eurocom Tornado F5  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Msi 16L13/Eurocom Tornado F5  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1070

Msi 16L13/Eurocom Tornado F5  kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1080

Clevo P775DM3 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P775DM3 kabylake desktop 4-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P775TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P775TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1060

Clevo P775TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1080

Clevo P870TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1070

Clevo P870TM coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ SLI gtx1070

Clevo P870TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ gtx1080

Clevo P870TM1 coffeelake desktop 6-core cpu+ SLI gtx1080

why do most high end "gaming laptops" even use HK or HQ processors then, especially the acer 21x for instance, $9K laptop w/ an HK processor instead of a desktop cpu for its size and cooling power

also i've never seen any marketing for any laptop with a desktop cpu so i had no idea they existed (or thought of it surprisingly)

34 minutes ago, General Winter said:

why do most high end "gaming laptops" even use HK or HQ processors then, especially the acer 21x for instance, $9K laptop w/ an HK processor instead of a desktop cpu for its size and cooling power

also i've never seen any marketing for any laptop with a desktop cpu so i had no idea they existed (or thought of it surprisingly)

That's because Acer sells crap!! :D

You could easily buy 2 clevos P870TM1-g with a i7-8700k+SLI GTX1080 for 9000$. :D

this is a clevo N950KP6

n950kp6-1_1_2.png

IMG_20180101_184849_HDR.jpg

this is a clevo P870TM1

p870tm-g-1.jpg

csm_MG_2046_d4dafa8c8d.jpg

eurocom_sky_x9c_inside.jpg

clevo.png

edit

OEMs like Dell/Alienware, Acer, Aorus, Lenovo, Asus, Razer like very much two magic words: programmed obsolescence, That's the reason because they use BGA cpus and BGA gpus IMO

Spoiler