Hard Disk connectivity

total newbie in networking,

I was just thinking when linus built petabyte server he just inserted hard drive into slot, that slot had a connector (sata&power)

but how does all those 45 drives cable connected to motherboard is there any specific card to connect all drives and that card connect to motherboard and a 10gbe nic used to speed.

thanks . <3 love <3 .

Linus lives life on the edge of madness.

Everything he used to set that up was cutting edge technology.  Sure he had the server case custom build and had to hunt down a ridiculous server to handle all those drives.

Are you planning on setting-up your own server? 

1 minute ago, Qi_Forever said:

Linus lives life on the edge of madness.

Everything he used to set that up was cutting edge technology.  Sure he had the server case custom build and had to hunt down a ridiculous server to handle all those drives.

Are you planning on setting-up your own server? 

Are you planning on setting-up your own server?  YES.

but with a 10 x 10TB drives, a small 10gbe nic server.

The HBAs Linus uses in his new storinators are HighPoint Rocket 750s (if I remember correctly), he has two in each new storinator.

One of the ports on this card supports 4 SAS or SATA drives (there are either backplanes which do the "splitting" or you can get cables that split into 4 SATA-Connectors).

In general those cards are either called HBA (host bus adapter) which basically pass-though each individual drive to the OS, or RAID cards, which create RAID-arrays over multiple drives and present it to the OS as one big drive.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.