Looking for an upgrade to gaming PC

Buckadoodle

I'm looking to turn my potato pc into a gaming pc my budget is around 600$.

Specs on current pc:

Processor: Inter(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz 

Ram: 8GB

Graphic Card: GTX 610

300W Power supply

Some 50$ biostar motherboard

15 minutes ago, Buckadoodle said:

Specs on current pc:

300W Power supply

just get a GTX 1050 TI, should be just under 200$ and you can save the 400$ for later.

it will be just short of bottlenecking your G3258 in most games, a tight match but it will work.

if you want to step up the level of performance even higher you will need to change your processor and get a better graphics card and that will bring you at your 600$ but for just one step higher on the performance scale if you know what i mean. a 200% higher expense for just 1 more step. go simple, just get a 1050ti

G3258 and gtx1050ti will handle 1080p resolution just fine. you can expect playing a lot of the most recent/demanding games at medium settings smoothly and some older titles at high-max.

the real weak part of the chain in your build is the gtx610 and thats really the only thing you should change and the only thing that limits your gaming experience.

10 minutes ago, Howitz said:

just get a GTX 1050 TI, should be just under 200$ and you can save the 400$ for later.

it will be just short of bottlenecking your G3258 in most games, a tight match but it will work.

if you want to step up the level of performance even higher you will need to change your processor and get a better graphics card and that will bring you at your 600$ but for just one step higher on the performance scale if you know what i mean. a 200% higher expense for just 1 more step. go simple, just get a 1050ti

G3258 and gtx1050ti will handle 1080p resolution just fine. you can expect playing a lot of the most recent/demanding games at medium settings smoothly and some older titles at high-max.

Will my 300w power supply handle it?

Just now, Buckadoodle said:

Will my 300w power supply handle it?

it should be alright. if you experience black screens and similar crashes it might indicate your psu is not providing enought and in such case you can buy yourself a new one that will serve for future upgrades. but i'm pretty sure it should be fine.

17 minutes ago, Howitz said:

it should be alright. if you experience black screens and similar crashes it might indicate your psu is not providing enought and in such case you can buy yourself a new one that will serve for future upgrades. but i'm pretty sure it should be fine.

can you use a DDR5 GPU into a DD3 motherboard/ram?

4 minutes ago, Buckadoodle said:

uh yeah it should be fine provided you have enough room in your case. you just plug the new graphics card in the pci slot and plug the ?4-6-8?pin connector from the psu into the card and the card will do its job of sending video signal to your monitor, which will be plugged into the card. there  is no link really between that and the type of ram your motherboard requires.

26 minutes ago, Howitz said:

uh yeah it should be fine provided you have enough room in your case. you just plug the new graphics card in the pci slot and plug the ?4-6-8?pin connector from the psu into the card and the card will do its job of sending video signal to your monitor, which will be plugged into the card. there  is no link really between that and the type of ram your motherboard requires.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Buckadoodle said:

GDDR and DDR are two different types of RAM. GPU is complete pack. As long as mobo as correct slot for it (PCIe2.0 or newer), it will just work.

As for other part. Look for better PSU. You will need to do CPU upgrade at some point. To i5/i7 Haswell/DC and for that 330W from noname brand is way too little. You'd be fine with 450-550W and those are priced under $75.

If your mobo allows upgrade to Devils Canyon CPUs, best you can get is 4790/K. Which will be good for few years easy. For finding out you need to go for mobo's support page and check BIOS updates.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, Buckadoodle said:

Specs on current pc:

300W Power supply

Some 50$ biostar motherboard

I guess it also depends on what kind of gaming. The suggestions above regarding GPU are pretty good.

If the games you wish to play require more CPU power, and you want to save money, look into a used higher performing cpu that is compatible with you motherboard.

21 hours ago, Ertman said:

I guess it also depends on what kind of gaming. The suggestions above regarding GPU are pretty good.

If the games you wish to play require more CPU power, and you want to save money, look into a used higher performing cpu that is compatible with you motherboard.

Some of the games I want to play are CSGO, League, Elder Scrolls Online, GTA 5, pubg games like that.

3 hours ago, Buckadoodle said:

Some of the games I want to play are CSGO, League, Elder Scrolls Online, GTA 5, pubg games like that.

Take this with a grain of salt as others might wish to correct my thoughts on this.

I’d personally recommend a gpu upgrade along with a CPU upgrade that is compatible with your current motherboard. I recommend a used CPU even though used is more risky, it’s far more cost effective.

cost savings could always be put towards future upgrades.