portable hdd ductape?

I have a portable harddrive 1tb but ya know... its portable so no mounting point. Can I just ductape it inside the hdd slot? It is able to withstand vibration and sheit cause its portable and it fits. I don't know if i will have any issues with heating.

You can, I don't know how hot it'll get though

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

If it is in a plastic case you can more than likely remove the plastic and it will be a standard 2.5" or 3.5" drive. I'm no professional but maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, Berosar said:

I have a portable harddrive 1tb but ya know... its portable so no mounting point. Can I just ductape it inside the hdd slot? It is able to withstand vibration and sheit cause its portable and it fits. I don't know if i will have any issues with heating.

Prit stick it. 

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

Ifixit probably have a teardown guide on portable drives. From there buy a cheap mounting bracket. Also you will lose all your files in the process of allocating it to windows so back it up before you tear it apart.

1 minute ago, Swanbumps said:

Ifixit probably have a teardown guide on portable drives. From there buy a cheap mounting bracket. Also you will lose all your files in the process of allocating it to windows so back it up before you tear it apart.

its empty xD

11 minutes ago, Swanbumps said:

If it is in a plastic case you can more than likely remove the plastic and it will be a standard 2.5" or 3.5" drive. I'm no professional but maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, practically all of them are 2.5" drives inside, but on some the USB connector is built directly into the controller board, meaning that if you were to mount it inside the case it would still need a USB connection. But, after removing the enclosure, pretty much all of the drives will have standard mounting holes, so it could be mounted that way.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

ah so don't bother about backup then but make sure it is absolutely empty or that you definitely won't need the files because you won't be getting them back without sending it away to a data recovery company.

2 minutes ago, cox1000 said:

Yeah, practically all of them are 2.5" drives inside, but on some the USB connector is built directly into the controller board, meaning that if you were to mount it inside the case it would still need a USB connection. But, after removing the enclosure, pretty much all of the drives will have standard mounting holes, so it could be mounted that way.

it doesnt having mounting points xD. its all smooth and only has one cable you can put in it which is the usb 3.0

Just now, Berosar said:

it doesnt having mounting points xD. its all smooth and only has one cable you can put in it which is the usb 3.0

18 minutes ago, Swanbumps said:

as I said here you can open them and it will just be a a regular drive inside which will have mounting points

3 minutes ago, Berosar said:

also what is the model number

1 minute ago, Swanbumps said:

as I said here you can open them and it will just be a a regular drive inside which will have mounting points

oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thx xD

15 minutes ago, Swanbumps said:

If you have issues opening it Ifixit will more than likely have a tear down guide