New PC Builder (Total War)

So i want to build a new Computer. i don't have a budget but less is always better, it really doesn't need to be that powerful. most of the games i play are games like; League of legends, destiny, and a lot of older FPS games.(1080p monitor)  But my favorite games are the Total war series. In the past  when i play total war i get about 60 fps on a 1080p monitor but when i get into  large battle late game, my fps drops to around 11 fps. i don't know if i should just buy a new cpu, motherboard, and ram? or just get a all new Computer. I really just want to play my games and get at least 60fps, i heard that total war is cpu intensive, so i don't know if just getting a new cpu would fix the problem. One other thing i do have two monitors, but i only use one for gaming. Any help would be appreciated :)

Right now i have a older i5( what ever was new 4 years ago) and a Gtx 1060 3gb, and 8 GB of ddr 3 ram. 

Don't really have one, i would say around $1500 put i can go higher.

i'll probably just end up doing that, i just don't know if i should spend more on a higher end gpu or just get a better cpu 

This is just my thinking, but I do think that your CPU is the main bottle neck; however, I also think that your 3GB of vram might also be an issue since you said that you only drop fps during large batttle scenes. 

do you think that a new i5 or ryzen 5 1600x do the job or should i go straight to a i7 8700k. and what gpu would you say? would a 1070 8gb do the trick?