My network has been over-ruled any help ?

Hello I’m hoping that someone on this forum could help my issue , it may sound a bit far-fetched but basically the network owner is installing a server and a sniffer and my main consern is my traffic and privacy being invaded and how I can stop this from happeneing by maybe using a vpn or any solutions like that ? He also mentioned he will install software to boot me off the network if he suspects anything . Thanks . I also have my own extended that I use as a private network to transfer data between my nas and my pc I’m also worried this may also be accessible by the main router ?

Who owns and controls this network? Is it a school? Home? If so, we can't help you here to get around restrictions. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

"software to boot you of the network" does he mean booting your pc of the network like PXE boot or kicking you off the network?

It's a really weird situation you have going on tbh... Also wtf is he planning to do with the server? Apart from DNS and DHCP functionality there's not much he can do with it if you don't want to talk to the server. And both DNS and DHCP isn't even required either, you can configure a static IP instead of DHCP and run your own DNS server, or use a third party one.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Thing with VPNs are that they make you anonymous to the rest of the interwebz, sure. But not to your own network admin. Your traffic ALWAYS passes through your router or whatever you have. Thereby making it so the network admin can always check your traffic.

I´m really intrigued now though, what is this situation even? Sounds like you´re a prisoner lol

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T || PSU: Corsair RM650i || Mobo: Asus RoG Strix Z270E || CPU: Intel i5-7600K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H110i v2 || RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16GB White LED || GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB GAMING X || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Samsung MZ1280 M.2 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

42 minutes ago, redbullvodka said:

Thing with VPNs are that they make you anonymous to the rest of the interwebz, sure. But not to your own network admin. Your traffic ALWAYS passes through your router or whatever you have. Thereby making it so the network admin can always check your traffic.

I´m really intrigued now though, what is this situation even? Sounds like you´re a prisoner lol

Feels like I’m a prisoner too lol , it’s the house owner and he wants to have control over everything I just want to make sure he can’t see everything I’m doing like bank details and login information I just want to have normal functionality like an everyday user with privacy but I need to know if the vpn will stop them seeing a overview of the Info like login details and card details that’s being sent back and forward . I run on my own network as well that gets internet feed from the main network so I communicate privately on my network between my pc and nas .

50 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

"software to boot you of the network" does he mean booting your pc of the network like PXE boot or kicking you off the network?

It's a really weird situation you have going on tbh... Also wtf is he planning to do with the server? Apart from DNS and DHCP functionality there's not much he can do with it if you don't want to talk to the server. And both DNS and DHCP isn't even required either, you can configure a static IP instead of DHCP and run your own DNS server, or use a third party one.

He wants the server to backup his Mac and just have network storage , he offered me space but I’m thinking no because he can block it anytime and I don’t want him being able to see my files so I’d have to encrypt them , it’s just easier to use my nas. He is a proper into tech guy who knows way too much about tech and hacks the lot and I’m just afraid he will hack me cause I’ve saw him do it before it isn’t mind blowing he is so intense I want to know how he dose it all I just need the resources and guides and I will be there ?

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Who owns and controls this network? Is it a school? Home? If so, we can't help you here to get around restrictions. 

It’s a home network but he is a network geek like someone you would find at the CIA or fbi patrolling private networks and inspecting traffic, he is too good I just need to encrypt my traffic so he can’t see anything I’m doing but I need some advice and some tips ?

49 minutes ago, redbullvodka said:

that is not true, a VPN encrypts the whole internet stream, the router will only see that data is passing but will be unable to discern what that data is.

A VPN will solve all your issues, I use PIA they are fast, easy, and cheap.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 hours ago, WARMECHINE9240 said:

Feels like I’m a prisoner too lol , it’s the house owner and he wants to have control over everything I just want to make sure he can’t see everything I’m doing like bank details and login information I just want to have normal functionality like an everyday user with privacy but I need to know if the vpn will stop them seeing a overview of the Info like login details and card details that’s being sent back and forward . I run on my own network as well that gets internet feed from the main network so I communicate privately on my network between my pc and nas .

VPN encrypts the traffic. I mean packet sniffing, you can easily tell when the traffic is using VPN, but the packets are still unreadable. VPN is going to be safe. 

Most DPI (deep packet inspection) is quite useless.

At most, you'll see the destination server addresses: e.g. Facebook, Steam or any other website. If you use a 3rd party VPN service, you'll simply see a heap of encrypted traffic all destined to that VPN service and nothing else. Keep in mind though that doing this will likely slow your connection speed as you''re going from A to B via a 3rd party VPN.

If you don't use a VPN, the traffic is still (usually) encrypted via SSL (the little green padlock on your web browser). It's just that he may be able to see the websites you're visiting, just not what you're doing there.

It's really common for businesses to block outbound VPN traffic and force all outbound traffic through a proxy/web filter to block content (e.g. social media, adult content, P2P or games). There's a cutdown version of this on home routers called parental control - essentially block access to X, Y and Z websites,

More on Windspeed's points - don't let him install anything on your computer.  This applies especially to certificates.  If he installed a cert on your computer, he can potentially see all your encrypted SSL traffic by being a "Man in the Middle."

Here's a tutorial on how it's done.  It's a little dated, but the principles are the same.  There are legitimate reasons for this, but it sounds like this guy is just being a pain in the ass. 

https://turbofuture.com/internet/Intercepting-HTTPS-Traffic-Using-the-Squid-Proxy-in-pfSense

I'd get permission to install your own internet service.  If he's trying to intercept all your internet traffic, I'd be looking for another option.

1 hour ago, dan24 said:

More on Windspeed's points - don't let him install anything on your computer.  This applies especially to certificates.  If he installed a cert on your computer, he can potentially see all your encrypted SSL traffic by being a "Man in the Middle."

Here's a tutorial on how it's done.  It's a little dated, but the principles are the same.  There are legitimate reasons for this, but it sounds like this guy is just being a pain in the ass. 

https://turbofuture.com/internet/Intercepting-HTTPS-Traffic-Using-the-Squid-Proxy-in-pfSense

I'd get permission to install your own internet service.  If he's trying to intercept all your internet traffic, I'd be looking for another option.

Yeah that'd be an immediate deal breaker for me if my Landlord demanded that kind of control.

I'd demand permission to get my own ISP connection installed, and if he doesn't give permission, I'd start looking for a new place to live.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)