Mineral oil cooling

Hiya LTT!

I watched your guys' build of the mineral oil PC from a while ago. I'm considering making my own (since the original company got patent trolled...), and I have some questions for you (& the community)

- I know one thing mentioned on their webpage as an issue was wires in the mineral oil (since the mineral oil would wick up the wires). If the wires (& setup in general) were completely sealed, would it still be an issue?

- Along those lines... does anyone know if mineral oil is compatible with silicone caulk, acrylic, and poly-carbonate?

- One thing I've heard is that removing stuff from the mineral oil (to upgrade or fix something) completely ruins the components. Is this something you encountered?

- Did the mineral oil cause any damage over time? I'd hate to put my fancy-schmancy components in, only to have the MO ruin them after 1-2 years.

Where there any other issues you encountered? What were some of the bigger issues you encountered that are unique to using a mineral oil setup?

Thanks all!

On 1/1/2018 at 12:25 PM, Bizobinator said:

-SNIP-

I've never worked with a mineral oil build and never intent to but in general you can check the chemical resistance of products against mineral oil here. Silicone caulk regarded by most is not ideal for long term use but is alright for short term, RTV sealant is ideal as many are oil resistance. @Stefan1024 use a red sealant I remember in his build maybe he can provide more info on what product was used. 

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-4

I do know mineral oil cooling rigs do get very, very heavy. 

So be aware of that, if you move your PC alot, you might want to consider something else. 

On 1.1.2018 at 6:25 PM, Bizobinator said:

Hiya LTT!

I watched your guys' build of the mineral oil PC from a while ago. I'm considering making my own (since the original company got patent trolled...), and I have some questions for you (& the community)

- I know one thing mentioned on their webpage as an issue was wires in the mineral oil (since the mineral oil would wick up the wires). If the wires (& setup in general) were completely sealed, would it still be an issue?

- Along those lines... does anyone know if mineral oil is compatible with silicone caulk, acrylic, and poly-carbonate?

- One thing I've heard is that removing stuff from the mineral oil (to upgrade or fix something) completely ruins the components. Is this something you encountered?

- Did the mineral oil cause any damage over time? I'd hate to put my fancy-schmancy components in, only to have the MO ruin them after 1-2 years.

Where there any other issues you encountered? What were some of the bigger issues you encountered that are unique to using a mineral oil setup?

Thanks all!

First, have a look here, you will finde a lot of information:

- The wires get hard and brittle over time, but as long as you don't upgrade the PC they stay intact perfectly. If you like to upgrade, you need to buy new cables.

- I removed stuff from the oil and they need at least a month or two to drip dry. And fans will be destroid permanently (they work, but collect a lot of dust very fast).

- I fined my build 14 month ago and it still runns good. I feel like some thermal paste have been disolved as it runs a bit hottet than initially, but it's not a big deal.

When you use a HDD, make sure you used a helium filled one. My WD Red 8TB runns fine submerged in oil.

And use a sealant that is oil proof. My one is oil resistant, but it leaks a tiny bit due to diffusion.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil