Does lower the resolution impact heavily on battery life?

Hello everyone,

I saw many reviews on the XPS 13/15 saying how the higher resolution models have better screens but because of the resolution the battery life is impacted quite a bi, and how windows scaling isn't perfect.

So... How much of an impact would it have to run them at a lower resolution as a battery-saving measure?

Should I just consider the lower res models, or are the nicer screens much better? I'm coming from the macbook experience (not an apple fan, just liked it to code) and that had no problems running it for as long as I needed it to (75Wh battery in a 13inch...) and the image was crisp and vibrant (the screen was niiiice.)

Opinions on the whole thing?

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Running a 4K panel at 1080 would still be a 4K panel since we're talking about physical pixels. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Running a 4K panel at 1080 would still be a 4K panel since we're talking about physical pixels. 

If the dimensions are the same... I know more pixels are... More, but the backlight is basically the same, and the GPU (even if it's already little) has to do less work...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

6 minutes ago, EMENCII said:

If the dimensions are the same... I know more pixels are... More, but the backlight is basically the same, and the GPU (even if it's already little) has to do less work...

It doesn't take much work to run a 4K panel unless you're gaming and even then you're still using the same power (pixel fill rate). If you're eying the 4K panel, just check reviews to see how long the battery lasts. If it can't hold you for the alloted time, just pass for the 1440 or 1080 panel. 

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 4K panel on a 17" or lower laptop unless you need some of the features only 4K panels provide, i.e. HDR. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It doesn't take much work to run a 4K panel unless you're gaming and even then you're still using the same power (pixel fill rate). If you're eying the 4K panel, just check reviews to see how long the battery lasts. If it can't hold you for the alloted time, just pass for the 1440 or 1080 panel. 

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 4K panel on a 17" or lower laptop unless you need some of the features only 4K panels provide, i.e. HDR. 

Well, the pixel fill rate is not synonym for power, and my 980 does use some less watts if I reduce the resolution (in GPUZ something lowered as well, can't remember what tho)

Thank you for your answer ^^

22 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Spot on

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"