100% fan speed

emosun

In general , I'm surprised how many people do not know that an electric fan is designed to run at 100% speed perfectly fine. Much in the same way a light bulb can run at 100% brightness , or a desk fan or ceiling fan can also run at 100% speed. 

I suppose the assumption is that running them at 100% speed decreases their lifespan , but that's not the case with electric fans that are made to be run at 12v at all times. Many forget that computer fans used to not have any speed management at all and fans would run at 100% at all times. I understand today that fans have speed management to reduce noise , essentially large fans spinning slowly can push lots of air but still be quiet. But it's funny to see people concerned about heat yet running their fans at only 50% speed or lower assuming the fan could be worn out running at higher speeds.

Now if you did want to wear out a fan , running it higher than it's rated like running it on 15 volts could definitely wear it out real quick. Or , even running a fan too slowly can cause it to build up more dust that usual and gunk up the motor pretty early. This usually happen with tiny fans.

1 minute ago, CombatComedy said:

depends on how good ur fan is boi :)

I thought about this recently as my main rig has 4 92mm (i know weird size) fans on the front. All of which I pulled from old windows 98 machines.

They are all super simple 2 wire 12v fans that run at 100% speed. and they work great. Been that way for over two years now. 

18 hours ago, emosun said:

I thought about this recently as my main rig has 4 92mm (i know weird size) fans on the front. All of which I pulled from old windows 98 machines.

They are all super simple 2 wire 12v fans that run at 100% speed. and they work great. Been that way for over two years now. 

fans don't matter too much, they just have to get the job done

I havnt finishd buying all the parts for my first build but, my case came with 3 pre-installed fans (120mm 12v of course) and I plan on buying another one. I'm not gonna screw with settings and ima just deal with the loud whirring , because to me, that's just the sound of a well working airflow

u can check my profile to see the parts I already have and then wish you had them yourself ;)

4 of my 6 Corsair fans run at 100% all the time just fine.  My mobo doesn’t have enough headers so that’s why.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 Ghz Quad-core  Motherboard: Dell 088DT1  RAM: Generic Dell 2x4 GB DDR3  GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked  Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C - White (with Cooler Master LED Strips)  Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1 TB  PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W  Monitor: Asus VS247H-P - 23.6 Inch  Cooling: 3x Corsair AF120 and 3x Corsair SP120 Case Fans  Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad)  Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Headset  OS: Windows 10

It's same with people freaking out because they see 60C temps. Or ask if running CPU close to 100% usage is bad.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv