Funny question about pumps

If I would switch the 12v and ground pin on a pump, would it spin in the opposite direction?

:ph34r:

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

Depends on the pump.  Some can operate at bother polarities and some are made just to have a one directional feed.

And a pump that's not designed to run in both directions would simply not turn on?

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

46 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

Depends on the pump.  Some can operate at bother polarities and some are made just to have a one directional feed.

It won't.

Most pumps that are worth buying are brush less DC motors. This means there is a microcontroller in the pump that is alternately driving at least two coils spaced evenly around the impeller. The microcontroller will not operate if fed reverse voltage or worst case scenario it will break.

If you have a cheap pump with a brushed DC motor ofc it will spin the impeller backwards, but it likely will not move much fluid and the little it does move will be forwards.

Bottom line, I wouldn't try.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

1 minute ago, unknownmiscreant said:

It won't.

Most pumps that are worth buying are brush less DC motors. This means there is a microcontroller in the pump that is alternately driving at least two coils spaced evenly around the impeller. The microcontroller will not operate if fed reverse voltage or worst case scenario it will break.

If you have a cheap pump with a brushed DC motor ofc it will spin the impeller backwards, but it likely will not move much fluid and the little it does move will be forwards.

especially if it's an D5 style 'centrifugal' pump. those things will only work with a 1 directional flow.

5 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

It won't.

That makes sense. Tanks!

Greetings from germany

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

especially if it's an D5 style 'centrifugal' pump. those things will only work with a 1 directional flow.

Yeah, that and the DDC are what I primarily based my answer off.

Brushless is preferable in pumps, as it means the impeller is driven via magnetic coupling, so there is no spinning shaft to seal. Cheap things off ebay etc may or may not be brushless, idk. Ive never looked into them.

Although I have blown up a fan from reverse voltage in the past. But most are fine with it, can't speak for pumps though.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s