Can I use a NAS for gaming?

Tommy

I am running out of storage on my current PC, I have >110GB left, that won't last long, with most games taking 15GB+.

Anyway, I don't know whether to get a NAS, or just buy more internal HDD's. I plan to get an enclosure and just stick some WD 2TB Reds in, and leave it, but would this be okay for gaming or would they need to be in my PC?

Any replies would be much appreciated;

Thanks

Edit: I forgot to include the ones I plan to get, either a: D-Link ShareCentre Pulse, or a Netgear ReadyNas Duo. Sorry I can't give direct links, for some reason I can't paste...

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60. 

Well if someone else shut acces the data on that drive a NAS wout make sense but I think you are the only one to acces it. I would say buy a HDD an put it in your Computer because it's cheaper, faster, smaller and dosn't take so much power. :)

edit: to anser the thread question yes you can but it is not as fast wenn you are loading the games ass when you have it on your local drive

Greetings from Germany B)

IT IS POSSIBLE but it will be very slow unless you spend a large amount of money much greater than a new Hdd. you could however get a cheap usb3 external and that would work very well if you have usb3 ports on your pc that is

you could attach a old computer to the network, get a nic and a nice raid card and that should be fast enough. I have had luck with the synology NASs getting about 75 to 100Mbps in raid 5, that is the higher end model that costs around 800 just for the enclosure (populated with WD Reds). I have not had any experience with the lower capacity NASs (I have the 8 bay currently) but i would assume they are similar.

just a question, have you considered just putting another HDD or SSD in your computer and using it for games, because that seems like the cheapest option if you have the capability.

Ah, I think I will just stick more drives in my PC, I'm the only one in my house really who needs more than 500GB of storage anyway.

Thanks for the replies!

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60.