Selling a PC

harutik11

I have enough money to build a PC right now. Im planning to build a PC and sell it to make a profit. Currently i am debating whether to include windows 10 with or without the PC. What are your suggestions? 

The parts list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHB4XH

Uh...what?

You're not going to make much money when someone can just go do the exact same thing you are.

If you're looking to profit don't bother adding fans. You're just wasting money.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Uh...what?

You're not going to make much money when someone can just go do the exact same thing you are.

If you're looking to profit don't bother adding fans. You're just wasting money.

ok but if someone doesnt want to build the pc themselves or whatever, you could make some profit out of it. 

1 minute ago, harutik11 said:

ok but if someone doesnt want to build the pc themselves or whatever, you could make some profit out of it. 

Maybe $50. It's not worth the investment. What happens if no one wants it? Then you're going to lose a lot of money.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, harutik11 said:

I have enough money to build a PC right now. Im planning to build a PC and sell it to make a profit. Currently i am debating whether to include windows 10 with or without the PC. What are your suggestions? 

The parts list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHB4XH

I recommend removing the additional Fans because the Case has Fans built in.

Just now, dizmo said:

Maybe $50. It's not worth the investment. What happens if no one wants it? Then you're going to lose a lot of money.

idk about $50. U do have a point. But if you receive the money first from the buyer and then begin building you have a less chance of losing.

It would be easier to have someone ask you to build a computer for a fee. Not build then sell.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Just now, Klouuse said:

I recommend removing the additional Fans because the Case has Fans built in.

the case has 2 fans included

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I agree. No guaranty that someone will buy it.

Just now, VinsinityKT said:

It would be easier to have someone ask you to build a computer for a fee. Not build then sell.

of course a fee. sell before build

2 minutes ago, harutik11 said:

the case has 2 fans included

The 2 Fans are enough. You don't need to put a Fan in every possible Slot.

Just now, Klouuse said:

The 2 Fans are enough. You don't need to put a Fan in every possible Slot.

If u say so ill believe. Lmao

That is not the way to make money selling a PC. That's the way to lose money selling a PC.

There are three approaches to flipping PCs that work well:

1. Wait until new parts are on deep discount, like $30 A320 motherboards or $70 RX 560s, snap them up and, once you've got enough parts, build and sell for more than you paid. Your margins won't be great, but if you do it right you'll earn a few bucks.
  2. Scour the used market for parts that make sense together. Maybe someone's got an H81 motherboard and G3258 for $50, a week later someone else has a GTX 750 Ti for $40, and later someone else is offloading 8GB of DDR3 for $30. You wait and seize the opportunity over time to grab used parts at steal prices, then build and flip. The margins there are high if you do it right.
  3. Frequent yard sales and thrift shops looking for any used PC that boots and is even sort of modern (Core 2 Duo or newer for me). Especially at yard sales, you can usually talk the owner into practically giving stuff away. This is great for finding monitors too. You can make a ton of money by spending $5 on a filthy old Dell, putting a couple hours into cleaning it up and getting a $5 eBay copy of Windows 10 onto it, then pairing it with a $3 monitor from another yard sale and selling the combo for $100.

Buying new parts to resell the PC only makes sense if you're being hired to build someone a PC. The way you're doing it is not the best idea if you're wanting to make money selling a PC.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

That is not the way to make money selling a PC. That's the way to lose money selling a PC.

There are three approaches to flipping PCs that work well:

1. Wait until new parts are on deep discount, like $30 A320 motherboards or $70 RX 560s, snap them up and, once you've got enough parts, build and sell for more than you paid. Your margins won't be great, but if you do it right you'll earn a few bucks.
  2. Scour the used market for parts that make sense together. Maybe someone's got an H81 motherboard and G3258 for $70, someone else has a GTX 750 Ti for $60 and someone else is offloading 8GB of DDR3 for $30. You wait and seize the opportunity over time to grab used parts at steal prices, then build and flip. The margins there are high if you do it right.
  3. Frequent yard sales and thrift shops looking for any used PC that boots and is even sort of modern (Core 2 Duo or newer for me). Especially at yard sales, you can usually talk the owner into practically giving stuff away. This is great for finding monitors too. You can make a ton of money by spending $5 on a filthy old Dell, putting a couple hours into cleaning it up and getting a $5 eBay copy of Windows 10 onto it, then pairing it with a $3 monitor from another yard sale and selling the combo for $100.

Buying new parts to resell the PC only makes sense if you're being hired to build someone a PC. The way you're doing it is not the best idea if you're wanting to make money selling a PC.

Thanks for the ideas man. Definitely have a point. And also what do you say about used parts?

6 minutes ago, harutik11 said:

idk about $50. U do have a point. But if you receive the money first from the buyer and then begin building you have a less chance of losing.

$50 is what any computer shop will charge to put together a system for you. Since you have no insurance or guarantees, really, you can't even ask that much. Yes, that would work. You haven't done that yet though, have you.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, harutik11 said:

Thanks for the ideas man. Definitely have a point. And also what do you say about used parts?

If you know what you're doing and you ask the right questions, there is no better bang for the buck. I've sold a couple of different PCs for $300 that cost me less than $150 to build out of used parts.

Just now, aisle9 said:

If you know what you're doing and you ask the right questions, there is no better bang for the buck. I've sold a couple of different PCs for $300 that cost me less than $150 to build out of used parts.

what were the specs of that PC?

Just now, harutik11 said:

what were the specs of that PC?

The ones I've cleared $300 on have been complete systems with the PC itself (everything from a Core 2 Quad to an FX-8350), a 900p/1080p garage sale monitor, a mechanical keyboard picked up dirty-ho cheap on Amazon, a decent mouse usually found the same way and some sort of speakers. Selling just a tower, in my experience, is a pain and takes forever. Include a monitor, any monitor, with that tower, and if you've priced it right it'll be sold for 90% of what you're asking within a week.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The ones I've cleared $300 on have been complete systems with the PC itself (everything from a Core 2 Quad to an FX-8350), a 900p/1080p garage sale monitor, a mechanical keyboard picked up dirty-ho cheap on Amazon, a decent mouse usually found the same way and some sort of speakers. Selling just a tower, in my experience, is a pain and takes forever. Include a monitor, any monitor, with that tower, and if you've priced it right it'll be sold for 90% of what you're asking within a week.

thank you for the really good ideas. 

Just now, harutik11 said:

thank you for the really good ideas. 

No problem. It's not easy by any means, and you will lose money while you figure out what will and won't sell, but you can earn a decent little side income off of it, and it's fun. You meet some really cool people, too, and it's freaking cool when you walk up with a laptop, a guy hands you the money, then hands the computer to his five-year-old as his first gaming PC.

8 hours ago, harutik11 said:

Would you pay random person in advance for built PC?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv