Anyone with G. SKILL Trident Z RGB & MSI Motherboard? Please Help.

Sorry for posting so many questions about the ram but as you can see i am growing very very impatient. This time around i'll try to calm down and try to explain as clear as i can so i can get better help.  

Ram and motherboard are the 2 last pars i need to build my pc and i am stuck on them So please help. 

I want an rgb ram i had my eyes set on Corsair vengeance RGB since they had a wide range of compatibility but the thing is they are out of stock with no expected restock date available. Its soo frustrating like i already waited a month to get my CPU and GPU and now i am stuck on the Ram. Should have bought the ram when it was available .. So i am becoming desperate and very impatient as i have everything literally everything except the ram and motherboard. I have waited soo long (started buying parts in October, now its 31st December)  So i decided to go with the G.Skill Trident Z RBG Ram which are available, but the thing is G.Skill is only compatible with Asus boards or so it was when it was launched. 

I have my eyes set on the MSI Z370 KRAIT GAMING, since i have a non K Chip this board should be okay and its got a pretty good power delivery and is feature set and comes with quiet a lot of accessories. 

I have looked everywhere and was unable to find a solid answer to my question.

The question is Will the G. SKILL Trident Z RGB RAM be compatible with the MSI mystic light software ? and by compatible i mean can i control the RAM RGB's using MSI software ?

I dont want to use 2 different software's cause there are plenty of ways that can go wrong (am absent minded so i will mess things up easily without knowing) like killing off the Ram kinda bad things. 

Or should i just suck it up and buy an Asus board which will work with the G.Skill RBG Ram (Asus Strix Z370-F to be specific)  that comes with lesser Features and have fewer RGB on board and looks a lot less cooler and no accessories.

I really like that MSI board cause it looks way too cool (personal preferences).   

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

it does work with mystic lite.  Updated bios and follow the instructions and it should be fine.  Just dont install 2 softwares to do the same thing

16 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

it does work with mystic lite.  Updated bios and follow the instructions and it should be fine.  Just dont install 2 softwares to do the same thing

Oh really? you mean update ram bios or motherboard uefi? sorry for asking but do you have any sources or are you speaking from your own experience like you have the same setup or a friend of your's ..

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

29 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Oh really? you mean update ram bios or motherboard uefi? sorry for asking but do you have any sources or are you speaking from your own experience like you have the same setup or a friend of your's ..

Here's a compatibility list from G.SKILL's website: https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=3094&model=3128

You can select what Chipset and Motherboard you have and, it lists all the supported RAM.

Edit: You can grab the RGB software From here.

Edited by Cyberspirit

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

13 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Here's a compatibility list from G.SKILL's website: https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=3094&model=3128

You can select what Chipset and Motherboard you have and, it lists all the supported RAM.

Edit: You can grab the RGB software From here.

Its QVL right ? and QVL only states weather the ram will work or not. It essentially does not specify if the RGB is compatible with mystic light. Luckily i found the ram on the list. So please bare with my ignorance does it mean i can control the Ram RGB with my board ? as i specifically said i do not want to use different software's to control different RBG's. 

13 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Its QVL right ? and QVL only states weather the ram will work or not. It essentially does not specify if the RGB is compatible with mystic light. Luckily i found the ram on the list. So please bare with my ignorance does it mean i can control the Ram RGB with my board ? as i specifically said i do not want to use different software's to control different RBG's. 

Not sure what QVL is but, I'm pretty sure you will be able to control the RGB on the RAM, though I'd ask MSI's support directly just to make sure.

Also, If you dislike G.SKILL's software, you can just set the colors to what you want and uninstall it.

I did the same with MSI's mystic light.

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

Not sure what QVL but, I'm pretty sure you will be able to control the RGB on the RAM though, I'd ask MSI's support directly just to make sure.

Also, If you dislike G.SKILL's software you can just set the colors to what you want and uninstall it.

I did the same with MSI's mystic light.

QVL - Qualified vendor list :)

Wow you have MSI mystic light ? now why dont you say so :D .. been looking for someone who have first hand MSI experience. the problem with me is i am very absent minded and well end up damaging things, its not something i can help like if i procrastinate a little just a little and i'll forget what i was doing and end up messing up things which is why i really dont want to use any other software and just stick with the MSI mystic light. I already have an MSI card and its glorious (another reason for going with MSI board, single software to control it all) also am getting very anxious.  

Just now, DeadlyTitan said:

motherboard and neither.  There are a whole bunch of pages with people that got it to work.  The biggest thing you have to remember is do no install the software for the ram.  If you cannot get it to work with mystic Light, then download asus aura to control the ram lights.  They recommend not doing the standard .xmp for the ram as well as set the voltage to 1.35v.  Many people have had issues with doing msi and gskill.  I am starting to lean more on it is gskill more then MSI that is the issue.  Toms Hardware did in fact do the MSI 370 Krait Gaming with the Trident Z RGB build tho if you wanted to look it up.

10 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

QVL - Qualified vendor list :)

Ah, thanks.

10 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Wow you have MSI mystic light ? now why dont you say so :D .. been looking for someone who have first hand MSI experience. the problem with me is i am very absent minded and well end up damaging things, its not something i can help like if i procrastinate a little just a little and i'll forget what i was doing and end up messing up things which is why i really dont want to use any other software and just stick with the MSI mystic light. I already have an MSI card and its glorious (another reason for going with MSI board, single software to control it all) also am getting very anxious.

Well, the only experience I have is setting the LEDs on my Video card to white and deleting Mystic light so I can't really help with that.

5 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

motherboard and neither.  There are a whole bunch of pages with people that got it to work.  The biggest thing you have to remember is do no install the software for the ram.  If you cannot get it to work with mystic Light, then download asus aura to control the ram lights.  They recommend not doing the standard .xmp for the ram as well as set the voltage to 1.35v.  Many people have had issues with doing msi and gskill.  I am starting to lean more on it is gskill more then MSI that is the issue.  Toms Hardware did in fact do the MSI 370 Krait Gaming with the Trident Z RGB build tho if you wanted to look it up.

Might just be a better idea to wait for the Corsair RAM then.

17 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

Yes exactly why i am worried about that combination. Its the G.Skill not the MSI, they are working with asus exclusively and come on am just a simple guy who just wants to play skyrim on his new system and all this voltage and tweaking stuff is not my thing. I mean they get me very confused, am not a tweaker, i never even go for OC CPU's cause they are such a chore for me. if you can see my posts i always go for the non K chips and easy to install hardware.  

This all makes me think i should probably wait for the Corsair Ram to get restocked or just forget about RGB ram and go for more conventional no frills ram. 

6 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Yes exactly why i am worried about that combination. Its the G.Skill not the MSI, they are working with asus exclusively and come on am just a simple guy who just wants to play skyrim on his new system and all this voltage and tweaking stuff is not my thing. I mean they get me very confused, am not a tweaker, i never even go for OC CPU's cause they are such a chore for me. if you can see my posts i always go for the non K chips and easy to install hardware.  

This all makes me think i should probably wait for the Corsair Ram to get restocked or just forget about RGB ram and go for more conventional no frills ram. 

Honestly, Overclocking sounds so scary when you never tried it before but, in reality, it's extremely easy and, nowadays it's not that easy to break your hardware if you read up on it beforehand.

Also, what CPU cooler are you using? Are you sure you will be able to fit big heatsink RAM under it?

14 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Honestly, Overclocking sounds so scary when you never tried it before but, in reality, it's extremely easy and, nowadays it's not that easy to break your hardware if you read up on it beforehand.

Also, what CPU cooler are you using? Are you sure you will be able to fit big heatsink RAM under it?

Its not about breaking equipment that scares me in case of OC. Its the loosing silicon lottery that i cant deal with. If i loose in the silicon lottery i will have this nagging feeling that i am not getting what i paid for, even if my silicon lottery isint that bad i'll still have to deal with that nagging feeling. I am better off buying a non K chip and knowing i get 100% of what i paid for than dealing with that little nagging feeling when i buy K chips. Its just something personal like when i do/(pay for) something (work or game or real life related) i need it to be 100% else i will end up with this feeling which is why i like to keep things simple and easy. 

This is also the reason why i stay far away from anything luck/chance based. I dont mind paying a premium if it guarantees me i can get 100%.  Its Just a piece of mind thingy. 

As for the CPU and CPU Cooler i have i7 8700(non K) and i'll be using Hyper 212 Evo (salvaged from older rig) to cool it.

Dang i have every single part purchased and just sitting on the rack doing nothing cause i dont have a ram and motherboard. This pc was supposed to be done for Christmas and we saw how that ended up lol (hint not very well). My vacation starts in January and i dont want to waste my vacation waiting for parts like i spent the last 3 months just waiting and this is getting me very anxious and desperate. 

3 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Its not about breaking equipment that scares me in case of OC. Its the loosing silicon lottery that i cant deal with. If i loose in the silicon lottery i will have this nagging feeling that i am not getting what i paid for, even if my silicon lottery isint that bad i'll still have to deal with that nagging feeling. I am better off buying a non K chip and knowing i get 100% of what i paid for than dealing with that little nagging feeling when i buy K chips. Its just something personal like when i do/(pay for) something (work or game or real life related) i need it to be 100% else i will end up with this feeling which is why i like to keep things simple and easy. 

This is also the reason why i stay far away from anything luck/chance based. Just a piece of mind thingy. 

Whatever floats your boat I guess :)

3 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

as for the CPU and CPU Cooler i have i7 8700(non K) and i'll be using Hyper 212 Evo (salvaged from older rig) to cool it.

Dang i have every single part purchased and just sitting on the rack doing nothing cause i dont have a ram and motherboard. This pc was supposed to be done for Christmas and we saw how that ended up lol (hint not very well). My vacation starts in January and i dont want to waste my vacation waiting for parts like i spent the last 3 months just waiting and this is getting me very anxious and desperate. 

Ah alright. Then you should be able to fit the RAM in no problem.