350D Build - The Terpshell (delayed posting)

msikora

XLHsCLp.jpg

Hey LTT, welcome to my first build.

Finally getting around to posting my rig after building it over the summer. You'll see why I call it the "Terpshell," but it's also because I'm a University of Maryland student (we're the terrapins). I only have a couple good shots of my build as a whole, I'll post more when I can get around to taking some quality ones. Let me know what you think.

I use this for Solidworks, Matlab, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere/Vegas Pro, and light gaming.

Specs:

Corsair 350D

- i7 4770K (no OC right now)

- MSI 760 Twin Forzr (no OC right now)

- 16GB Corsair Vengance

- Cooler Master Seidon 240M 

- Gigabyte Z87MX D3H

- 1 TB WD Blue

- 120 GB Samsung 840

- Corsair CX600M

Here are the pictures, had to scale them down quite a bit:

N7LrYwd.jpg

YIFZzIV.jpg

Couple things here: 1) There is an awful clicking/whine noise coming from the pump which I am going to send back soon. 2) The fans are facing the opposite direction once I put this into my build.

fBI2isL.jpg

nl6cVTX.jpg

Uxu1i3Q.jpg

Interesting thing I did, not sure if it hurts/helps/has no effect on my temps. Air comes in from the top and front, and exits the back. Let me know what you think about this.

My Build

Corsair Obsidian 350d // I7-4770k  // Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  // MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 // Corsair Vengance (2x8GB) 16GB // Cooler Master Seidon 240m (push-pull) // Corsair SP120 (x2) //1TB WD Blue // 120GB Samsung 840 SSD // Corsair CX600M // Win 8 - Ubuntu - OSX (on the way)

I like the external fans, just like my case.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

nice build :).  I love how you made a cover for the seidon 240m block.  

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

i think the only thing you wan't to do is get you some kind of dust filter for the top intake. 
Nice build though. How's the 350d to build in?

I would recommend to flip the air flow for your cooler. I would have the air coming from the inside out. You are fighting against the natural flow of heat which is upwards. I personally have my rear fan pulling in and I have my top fans pushing out. It keeps things very cool and on top of it helps maintain positive air pressure in my case which cuts down on dust. My $0.02

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

i think the only thing you wan't to do is get you some kind of dust filter for the top intake. 

Nice build though. How's the 350d to build in?

Thank you! Oh yeah I've been using filters on those fans :) Had them off when I took the picture. Building in the 350d was very smooth (space and cable management are plentiful), only struggle was the radiator but I'll chalk that up to first time inexperience.

I would recommend to flip the air flow for your cooler. I would have the air coming from the inside out. You are fighting against the natural flow of heat which is upwards. I personally have my rear fan pulling in and I have my top fans pushing out. It keeps things very cool and on top of it helps maintain positive air pressure in my case which cuts down on dust. My $0.02

Yeah good points, I was struggling with that when I initially installed the cooler. I've got two thermistors I was going to use to evaluate the efficiency of the cooler depending on the direction of airflow, so I'm going to be switching the airflow direction soon to test that.

My Build

Corsair Obsidian 350d // I7-4770k  // Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  // MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 // Corsair Vengance (2x8GB) 16GB // Cooler Master Seidon 240m (push-pull) // Corsair SP120 (x2) //1TB WD Blue // 120GB Samsung 840 SSD // Corsair CX600M // Win 8 - Ubuntu - OSX (on the way)

HHHHHNNNNGGG. why must people have such sexy builds especially compared to mine. but anyway i love the cover on the cpu block and the little accents around the build

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

One moar Corsair Fan in the back of the case PLEEEEEEASE

Love the shrouds though :)

• 1 month later...