Adaptive VSync?

Hello, and happy holidays.

I was trying to force VSync on The Witcher (Enhanced Edition) (The game doesn't have vsync built in lol, and for some reason you can only force it with the NVIDIA control panel when the game is running in windowed mode. That's a whole different convo though). While exploring options to force VSync, I noticed my 4GB GTX 1050 didn't have support for adaptive vsync. After playing around on NVIDIA's website, I found a page that list supported GPU's. The Titan Series is supported, and the 900 and below series of GPU's are supported. However, none of the 10 series GPU's are supported. Does anyone know why this is? Have they just started phasing out adaptive vsync as GSync picks up in popularity? This is a non urgent question but it really peaked my curiosity.

Hmm. Interesting, I hadn't heard about this. That may be the case, G-Sync is really picking up in popularity.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hmm. Interesting, I hadn't heard about this. That may be the case, G-Sync is really picking up in popularity.

Here is the list of GPU's NVIDIA seems to have support for Adaptive VSync, according to their own website. It really caught me by surprise! I can understand why the 1050 didn't have an option for it, but learning cards like the 1080 didn't have support either really blew my mind.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/supported-gpus?field_gpu_type_value=All

Probably swept it under the rug because gsync is fancier, better for profits too

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

Probably swept it under the rug because gsync is fancier, better for profits too

Not sure that's the reason. Why would they be introducing fast sync then?

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Not sure that's the reason. Why would they be introducing fast sync then?

sorry, had to do a little more research, from what I understand adaptive vsync acts to clamp the rendering pipeline to keep fps down to monitor refresh, fast sync is supposed to let it render as fast as it wants and deliver whatever the last rendered frame is, removing latency issues historically present with vsync. Basically they're saying fast sync is better and their replacement for adaptive vsync, so out with the old and in with the new

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

• 11 months later...

Came across this today, searching for a solution with my GTX 1050 Ti (Nvidia Optimus setup, i.e. graphics getting piped through the IGP).

I really hope, you're not right about fastsync replacing Adaptive vsync; Adaptive VSync has the advantage of reducing power consuption, which helps with cooling; "Fast-Sync", as described here, wouldn't provide that advantage. 

*edit (2018-12-24)* Never mind... The latter part can be achieved independently by limiting the frame rate with tools like "NVidia Profile Inspector". Though I fear, it may saboage anti-tearing technologies, so adaptive vsync would still be the preferable solution.

14 hours ago, Yael.at said:

Came across this today, searching for a solution with my GTX 1050 Ti (Nvidia Optimus setup, i.e. graphics getting piped through the IGP).

I really hope, you're not right about fastsync replacing Adaptive vsync; Adaptive VSync has the advantage of reducing power consuption, which helps with cooling; "Fast-Sync", as described here, wouldn't provide that advantage. 

*edit (2018-12-24)* Never mind... The latter part can be achieved independently by limiting the frame rate with tools like "NVidia Profile Inspector". Though I fear, it may saboage anti-tearing technologies, so adaptive vsync would still be the preferable solution.

Is Profile Inspector part of the NVIDIA driver utility and/or GeForce Experience?