DIY Speakers

George_Bud

Hello. I have 2 ARN 5604 TESLA, and I want to build a speaker.

Can someone help me with what kind of material is the best and how to do it. I have some ideas but it is good to ask. :) 

I tested them, they work. I have a separate amplifier, so I dont really need put a amplifier into the speakers. 

Ask me anything if necesarry. Or just point me to a website or video. Thanks you.

I assume a material like plywood would do perfectly as almost every bookshelf speaker is made up of the stuff. Find a hole saw with the same circumference as the speakers and create the box. Repeat for the other side making sure to include holes at the back to pass through the speaker cables. 

24 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

I assume a material like plywood would do perfectly as almost every bookshelf speaker is made up of the stuff. Find a hole saw with the same circumference as the speakers and create the box. Repeat for the other side making sure to include holes at the back to pass through the speaker cables. 

Is there any special way to design the inside of the speaker box ? For acustic stuff and all that.... Or just a box with holes ?

A hollow box would make a lot of hum, vibration and/or distortion. Fill the inside of the box with 'teddy bear stuffing' or what ever that stuff is called.

There is a lot that can go into speaker cabinets.  Materials, shape, interior and exterior treatments, batting, etc.: everything has an influence on the sound, some small, some big.  There's basically no right or wrong, just preference.  Be diligent in your research.  There's plenty of information available online; this is my normal go-to: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/ .

Some basic guidelines:

1. If the driver's manufacturer has a recommended cabinet design (many have at least have a reference, you may have to dig through their website to find it), then follow it.

2. Sealed cabinets are generally more insensitive to shape and configuration; require more amp per db; and can be smaller.  Ported are generally more insensitive to size and construction; require less amp per db; and often need to be larger.

3. The more dense the cabinet material, the better.  MDF is considered the minimum density and is the most common for DIY (there are better materials, but MDF is readily available).  Retailers use plywood and particle board mainly due to the cost of finishing and physical durability.

4. It's hard to have too much bracing, but you can have too much batting.

5. It's tempting to use a jig saw for the speaker holes, but a circle jig for a router works so much better.

Ultimately, good cabinet design is highly nuanced and should not be taken lightly if you're a critical listener.  For most people, using common drivers, in common conditions, speaker design can be taken much further than they can hear and getting too specific about cabinet design can be a waste of money.  For the people who are critical about their audio, though, it makes a huge difference.

22 hours ago, Blasteque said:

There is a lot that can go into speaker cabinets.  Materials, shape, interior and exterior treatments, batting, etc.: everything has an influence on the sound, some small, some big.  There's basically no right or wrong, just preference.  Be diligent in your research.  There's plenty of information available online; this is my normal go-to: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/ .

Some basic guidelines:

1. If the driver's manufacturer has a recommended cabinet design (many have at least have a reference, you may have to dig through their website to find it), then follow it.

2. Sealed cabinets are generally more insensitive to shape and configuration; require more amp per db; and can be smaller.  Ported are generally more insensitive to size and construction; require less amp per db; and often need to be larger.

3. The more dense the cabinet material, the better.  MDF is considered the minimum density and is the most common for DIY (there are better materials, but MDF is readily available).  Retailers use plywood and particle board mainly due to the cost of finishing and physical durability.

4. It's hard to have too much bracing, but you can have too much batting.

5. It's tempting to use a jig saw for the speaker holes, but a circle jig for a router works so much better.

Ultimately, good cabinet design is highly nuanced and should not be taken lightly if you're a critical listener.  For most people, using common drivers, in common conditions, speaker design can be taken much further than they can hear and getting too specific about cabinet design can be a waste of money.  For the people who are critical about their audio, though, it makes a huge difference.

Thank you for this. I will look diligently in my research. I am not such an audiofile but it is better than any TV I have in the house. :))