Oppo Pm-3 second thoughts?

SubLimation7

(original post went along the lines of, I just plugged in my pm-3s and wasn't immediately blown away, then I changed my mind after spending some time with them)

Thought about making a new thread, but I guess I will just add it here.

After breaking in the PM-3s a bit and spending more time with them, I really like the sound.

However... they make my ears sore... 

And it's to the point where if this is persistent I definitely wouldn't want to keep them, but I'm wondering if some time for the ear cups to break in and my ears to adjust would make a noteworthy difference?  I've tried different band settings to reduce pressure but if anything it just allows me to go longer without them getting sore.  

They are very comfortable, until they aren't (roughly an hour).  I've worn headphones for years, and never had this big of an issue, coming from hyper x cloud it's night and day.

I'm looking at the Shure 1540s unless someone can convince me that it will get better, they seal fine and I have average size ears... idk...

Just looking for advice, don't want to be unhappy spending this much on a set of headphones.

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

When you upgrade to a headphone with the overall similar sound signature, the upgrade in sound quality won't be immediately noticable. It's only after you use the headphone for like a month or so regularly and then trying to go back to the old one you'll realize more about the difference in the sound

32 minutes ago, xtroria said:

When you upgrade to a headphone with the overall similar sound signature, the upgrade in sound quality won't be immediately noticable. It's only after you use the headphone for like a month or so regularly and then trying to go back to the old one you'll realize more about the difference in the sound

Makes sense, I just got Tidal so I can listen to my music in lossless... 

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

2 minutes ago, SubLimation7 said:

Makes sense, I just got Tidal so I can listen to my music in lossless... 

eh.... I've tried tidal lossless before. Frankly can't hear the difference between that and highest quality in spotify

Just now, xtroria said:

eh.... I've tried tidal lossless before. Frankly can't hear the difference between that and highest quality in Spotify

I'm coming from Pandora lol

9 hours ago, SubLimation7 said:

I'm coming from Pandora lol

I'd just go with spotify tbh. Overall it has the best application and integration with other tech

After breaking in the PM-3s a bit and spending more time with them, I really like the sound.

And it's to the point where if this is persistent I definitely wouldn't want to keep them, but I'm wondering if some time for the ear cups to break in and my ears to adjust would make a noteworthy difference?  I've tried different band settings to reduce pressure but if anything it just allows me to go longer without them getting sore.  

They are very comfortable, until they aren't.  I've worn headphones for years, and never had this big of an issue, coming from hyper x cloud it's night and day.

I'm looking at the Shure 1540s unless someone can convince me that it will get better, they seal fine and I have average size ears... idk...

Just looking for advice, don't want to be unhappy spending this much on a set of headphones.

3 hours ago, SubLimation7 said:

They are very comfortable, until they aren't.  I've worn headphones for years, and never had this big of an issue, coming from hyper x cloud it's night and day.

If you can return that PM3 and you're only gonna use the headphone inside the house, just do it and get the SRH 1540. SRH 1540 is one heck of a headphone

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update, I stuck with the PM-3s and for any other potential owners: they get significantly more comfortable with time.

Oh, @SubLimation7 , I hear your pain.  I had a very similar experience with the M4U's marketed by PSB (a subgroup of the apparent speaker manufacturer, their corporate link). The head squeeze got so intense for me that the bloody plastic band developed hairline cracks (after a year).  While the manufacturer graciously replaced the set with another one, those also developed cracks.  I stopped complaining.  The M4Us are in the same price range as those Oppos (it's pretty wild pricing here in Toronto [both brands easily in the $400-500 range]).

It seems that people with big noggins get this kind of grief.  Thankfully, my Senheisser HD5xx cans had a more elastic headband and stretched to fit.  My oldest pair, an HD555 eventually developed small cracks where the band met the speaker housing.  Gorilla tape fixed that and they were put back into service.  The HD518 pair I have are still in fantastic shape (except for delaminating head foam).

BTW, @SSL has a dandy buying guide wrt headphones and headsqueeze -- especially in SSL's 2nd and 3rd spoiler-like tabs (see 2016 post here).

I felt I got burned by buying guides (such as the wirecutter guide Revised January/18 posting?! ).  I eventually went to a colleague's husband whose a sound engineer,  ...his site... and asked his opinion.  He recommended I pick up a pair of reference headphones (i.e., units used in recording studios, field shoots, that ilk).  He suggested the Sony MDR7506 .  They're ugly, blocky, matt-black, and built like a tank.  I don't trust foldable headphones, so I went with the SonyMDR7510 (non-folding, slightly bigger drivers).  Results: so far so good. I baby them. And yes, I bought 2 years of extended warranty in case these crap out.

I agree with @xtroria , use quality audio encoding.  I'm playing around with FLAC (their site )and re-ripping some of my CDs using EAC.

I'm imagining you slowwwwwwwwly backing away from my post (wondering.... uh.... thanks?).  I get worked up whenever I pay a stack of cash and not get my money's worth.

As overkill, I've even added images of my cracked headbands (one I'm happy with... the other I just gave up)... FYI...

Whew. Okay, I'm done.  Thanks for posting, eh. <:-)

Edited by Guest
removed image - privacy

The craptastic thing about PSB cans is that the headband pleather (or whatever the heck it is) tends to crack and flake. My M4U 2 isn't getting much love from me (despite its great sound) simply because of this, what's of a greater waste is that there is no way to replace the flaking pleather on headband (at least, not that I'm aware of).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2