GPU or CPU

I posted a more in depth question in another thread and after a day with no responses I tried to make it more simple. I guess it was too simple. Thanks for the response though! :D

Edited by dogdaynoon
spelling

Yeah um, CPU's are important to make the computer work, and GPU's just make games run faster basically. Although, CPU's do play a major part in games.

Why are you asking?

12 minutes ago, dogdaynoon said:

I posted a more in depth question in another thread and after a day with no responses I tried to make it more simple. I guess it was too simple. Thanks for the response though! :D

i checked your other thread

I'd say if the cpu is being taxed the most from several users just go with a dual xeon and if the gpu isn't being taxed as much then just stick with a single one. 

Thanks! That makes sense and since the GPU support in RD has only been around a few years now, I am having trouble finding support and other user experiences.

1 hour ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Yeah um, CPU's are important to make the computer work, and GPU's just make games run faster basically. Although, CPU's do play a major part in games.

Why are you asking?

GPus don't make games run faster. Thats just really bad way to express that part. GPU allows more graphical calculations to be made resulting more pixels being drawn in more smooth action.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

GPus don't make games run faster. Thats just really bad way to express that part. GPU allows more graphical calculations to be made resulting more pixels being drawn in more smooth action.

I was trying to make it more simple, assuming he's just building for a gaming rig.

2 hours ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Why are you asking?

GPU's are not only for making games faster. think about bit coin mining and protein folding. Graphics cards are used for very powerful processing these days. I am looking for opinions on what others like when it comes to Server RD sessions. Is it better to go with more powerful CPU's or more powerful GPU's?

I just saw a couple of the other quotes. I realize this was very vague. Sorry. I will be building a Remote Desktop server. Windows Server 2016

1 hour ago, dogdaynoon said:

GPU's are not only for making games faster. think about bit coin mining and protein folding. Graphics cards are used for very powerful processing these days. I am looking for opinions on what others like when it comes to Server RD sessions. Is it better to go with more powerful CPU's or more powerful GPU's?

I just saw a couple of the other quotes. I realize this was very vague. Sorry. I will be building a Remote Desktop server. Windows Server 2016

Context is the most important thing.  Your initial question is meaningless without the context.  If you are building a RD Windows server, there are still questions to be answered.

• Is this for your personal use, or for an enterprise/commercial application?
  • How many concurrent RDP sessions do you expect?
  • What will the users be using the RD sessions to do?  Game?  Word processing?  Video editing?  etc?

Depending on what your purpose is, you probably will need a powerful (server grade) CPU and a very very good GPU, but without real specifics to work from people can't really help you.

Hi Vantage9,

Thanks for responding. I actually posted all of the information earlier but it got moved to New Builds and Planning

And I feel like at this point this conversation is leaning toward the other thread so I am going to quote you and move my reply to that one.

Thanks!