Improvement ideas

Yoola

This is my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/kKq48d

What would you change about it, something not so drastical (like platform upgrade)?

For what I had in mind is delidding that heat monster of a 4770k and getting a heftier overclock. 

Also in about this time next year a 1180Ti (or whatever the 1080Ti equivalent will be) to get that 1440p 165Hz a good kick. 

Any ideas, suggestions or critics? Your input is appreciated. Thanks!

ATM really all you could do is get some more ssd space.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

ATM really all you could do is get some more ssd space.

Already have 60GB left on SSD :o
I have OS, all frequently used programs and even PUBG on there and still quite few gigs to spare. I'm kinda conservative with stuff I put on my PC (I like it clean and minimal) :D
Might do just another one of those for RAID 0, purely for performance. But that's later on. 
Any other ideas? :D

2 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Already have 60GB left on SSD :o
I have OS, all frequently used programs and even PUBG on there and still quite few gigs to spare. I'm kinda conservative with stuff I put on my PC (I like it clean and minimal) :D
Might do just another one of those for RAID 0, purely for performance. But that's later on. 
Any other ideas? :D

I honestly can't see much else. The only other things I would upgrade would be the whole CPU+mobo+ram or the gpu, which would cost a lot.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

moar SSD Space is what you can improve from

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

moar SSD Space is what you can improve from

My Z87 board doesn't support M.2 so if I can't get NVME (960 Pro) it'd be more trouble than any noticeable improvement. 

1 minute ago, Yoola said:

My Z87 board doesn't support M.2 so if I can't get NVME (960 Pro) it'd be more trouble than any noticeable improvement. 

why not the 850 Evo that is SATA Interface? At least it would still be as fast as your old SSD

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

39 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

why not the 850 Evo that is SATA Interface? At least it would still be as fast as your old SSD

Yeah SATA wouldn't make sense. As I'm not running out of space. Only thing I would consider is get another 840 EVO and RAID 0 them. But seems that wouldn't make a lot of difference either. 

42 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Yeah SATA wouldn't make sense. As I'm not running out of space. Only thing I would consider is get another 840 EVO and RAID 0 them. But seems that wouldn't make a lot of difference either. 

what about upgrading your LG monitor to the Dell one

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

what about upgrading your LG monitor to the Dell one

I had 2 LG's, now I replaced one with Dell S2417DG. 

I had 2 LG's, now I replaced one with Dell S2417DG. 

i am thinking about upgrading the other LG monitor you own

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

i am thinking about upgrading the other LG monitor you own

Oh
Yeah that might be a good idea. Get another 1440p screen but without 60Hz instead of 165Hz and no G-SYNC? Any specific suggestions? Would be awesome if it's also 23.8" and 1440p

Oh
Yeah that might be a good idea. Get another 1440p screen but without 60Hz instead of 165Hz and no G-SYNC? Any specific suggestions? Would be awesome if it's also 23.8" and 1440p

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cdcMnQ/asus-rog-swift-pg278qr-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-pg278qr

or

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

19 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Yeah the one I have is already 1440p 165Hz G-SYNC. I ain't gonna play on dual screen but a single one, so 2nd screen should be only 1440p 60Hz. I think I'm gonna go with Dell P2418D, that should compliment well my Dell S2417DG. 

Thanks for your input!