Windows Media Creation Tool Problems: Can I copy an ISO from file folder onto USB and boot?

FUR1AN
Go to solution Solved by PrashMotion,
Just now, wpowell13 said:

Could be anti virus complications, I run Bitdefender Total Security on my laptop.

Bitdefender is quite annoying, it doens't even let you run Rocket League modded :c

However I use it. But for simplicity you may use Rufus for your USB stick. It's way better than the windows tool

Hello all,

I have watched many of the videos detailing how to use the media creation tool, create a bootable USB, and then bing bang boom, you boot windows onto a new pc build after selecting correct drive in BIOS.

My problem is that as I use the creation tool, select the USB I want to be used for the ISO boot file, the progress meter will go up to 99%, then reset to zero, go up to maybe 50-60%, then crash and say an unexpected error occurred. Nothing will be on the USB drive and no matter how many times I do it, there is the same result. I am on a windows 10 laptop, using USB 3.0, and using the tool straight from Microsoft's website.

As a last ditch effort, instead of downloading ISO tool directly to USB, I downloaded it to my desktop, and then cut/pasted the ISO file onto my USB. Will this work or is there some specific way of installation that needs to take place on the USB drive for that ISO to be bootable?

Any help would be great, thanks!

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

I recommend using a tool like Rufus to write an ISO to a memory stick. This will take care of all the partition and file system requirements that a windows installation needs. You can't just extract files from an ISO to a memory stick without using the right partition table (MBR GPT) and file system. This tool will configure all of that for you, Just select your memory stick, select the iso file that you have downloaded using the windows creation tool, and It will make the memory stick into a bootable stick, You don't really need to change the other options.

If you can't download the ISO file using Windows Creation Tool, then you can windowsiso.net. Be Careful of other sites that allow you to download ISOs for windows because they can have a lot of malware in them.

Rufus is the best option, the Windows tool sucks for that

My Box of Fµn:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4

MoBo - MSI B350 PC Mate

Case - Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass

PSU - BeQuiet 500W PurePower 10

Fans - BeQuiet PureWings 120mm x3; 140mm x2

Cooler - Corsair H100i v2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and THE POWER OF RGB

It sounds like an antivirus software is blocking the creation of the autorun.inf on the USB device. Happened for me.

I just needed to turn off autorun protection in Avira and the Media Creation Tool worked just fine.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

I recommend using a tool like Rufus to write an ISO to a memory stick. This will take care of all the partition and file system requirements that a windows installation needs. You can't just extract files from an ISO to a memory stick without using the right partition table (MBR GPT) and file system. This tool will configure all of that for you, Just select your memory stick, select the iso file that you have downloaded using the windows creation tool, and It will make the memory stick into a bootable stick, You don't really need to change the other options.

If you can't download the ISO file using Windows Creation Tool, then you can windowsiso.net. Be Careful of other sites that allow you to download ISOs for windows because they can have a lot of malware in them.

Is your system UEFI and booting in UEFI mode?

If so then yep, you can literally format the fladh drive to fat32, extract the ISO, copy EVERYTHING to the flash drive and boot from it.

I never use any of these tools when creating boot drives anymore, they're nothing more than unnecessary complications.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, PrashMotion said:

Rufus is the best option, the Windows tool sucks for that

Thanks I will give that a try tonight. Trying to get this sorted out asap as I am finally building my PC this week after two months of collecting parts.

6 minutes ago, Zagna said:

It sounds like an antivirus software is blocking the creation of the autorun.inf on the USB device. Happened for me.

I just needed to turn off autorun protection in Avira and the Media Creation Tool worked just fine.

Could be anti virus complications, I run Bitdefender Total Security on my laptop.

Just now, wpowell13 said:

Bitdefender is quite annoying, it doens't even let you run Rocket League modded :c

However I use it. But for simplicity you may use Rufus for your USB stick. It's way better than the windows tool

My Box of Fµn:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4

MoBo - MSI B350 PC Mate

Case - Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass

PSU - BeQuiet 500W PurePower 10

Fans - BeQuiet PureWings 120mm x3; 140mm x2

Cooler - Corsair H100i v2

and THE POWER OF RGB