Am I entitled to windows 10 for free if i have it on my laptop?

Kitayuan

Just made my first pc but stupidly spent all my money on parts and forgot the os. I know that I can get a demo copy for free which will limit my ability with certain functions but I was wondering if I could get a complete copy for free considering that I have a laptop with windows 10. If this is possible could someone please explain how I could do this or point me in the direction of how I would. 

Thanks,

Kit

IIRC it wouldn't work as the copy installed on the laptop is an OEM key.

pretty sure as soon as you try to activate it'll send you alerts of the copy not being genuine.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

No. That license is for the laptop. Just install it and activate it once you can afford it.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

no, its an OEM key thats tied to that hardware.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Um, no? You're not entitled to anything.

A Windows license is only valid for a single computer and isn't transferable, unless it's specifically says it can be transferred (like Retail copies).

A laptop version of Windows is non-transferable, hence you ain't entitled to anything. Go pay the $30 on kinguin and stop trying to justify your piracy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I know the other posts say this, but in case they haven't been blunt enough, you cannot use an OEM key off of your laptop to activate that version of Windows on anything but your laptop.

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Um, no? You're not entitled to anything.

A Windows license is only valid for a single computer and isn't transferable, unless it's specifically says it can be transferred (like Retail copies).

A laptop version of Windows is non-transferable, hence you ain't entitled to anything. Go pay the $30 on kinguin and stop trying to justify your piracy.

he never said he was going to pirate windows 10

no need to be a jerk about it, he was just asking an honest question

Just now, General Winter said:

I guess we just didn't interpret what he said in the same way.

To me it sounded like he wanted to get it for free, because he thinks owning a laptop with Windows on it somehow entitle him to a universal license. If you could point me toward where I can get paid softwares for free, other than piracy, I'd like to hear it too.

If to you it was just an honest question, more power to you, it means you're simply not pessimistic/cynical.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, General Winter said:

Yeah, not trying to be a pirate, just wanted to know If i could save a hundred bux.

Just grab an OEM key off of sites like Kinguin or Softwarelicense4u.  They're fully legit, but won't have support from microsoft in the case that you'd need it, as you'd be considered the OEM and responsible for troubleshooting.  Generally priced between 20-25 bucks.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

i already have a ford car, so I'm entitled to a new one for free as well.

is not how it works. time to buy another key

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Kitayuan said:

Yeah, not trying to be a pirate, just wanted to know If i could save a hundred bux.

Easy. Don't overpay for other components. Retail price for Windows is rather cheap in comparison.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have had this issue with several new builds and OEM licenses but you need to use the call Microsoft option. I've not had them turn me down yet.

On 12/27/2017 at 3:14 PM, Sierra Fox said:

i already have a ford car, so I'm entitled to a new one for free as well.

is not how it works. time to buy another key

That's why I asked. Sorry I didn't already know the answer and I had to ask a question.

try to put your laptop's HDD/SSD in your case, and run the system, it may work

I know it may tell you "you need to reactive it because it detected hardware changed, but it's worth trying!