Buyers beware ! Asus Changes ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti PCB Design

XenosTech

does anybody know if the phanteks waterblocks have been affected also or i this pcb change only limited to ek waterblocks

3 hours ago, wascalyryan said:

does anybody know if the phanteks waterblocks have been affected also or i this pcb change only limited to ek waterblocks

Would probably be all of them, but you could contact phanteks and ask them.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

On 27/12/2017 at 2:36 AM, EnergyEclipse said:

Why wouldn't you just disclose what you've changed? :o 

There is no point trying to be secret about it as someone will probably come along, do a tear down and realize eventually, as they must have done to find out that it has been changed... 

It's possible they just didn't think about it. I doubt it's an attempt to hide it, they have nothing to gain from that. Besides, technically asus has no responsibilities towards EK and the like - it's up to them to update their products and descriptions, as they seem to have done. So, to be honest, while transparency is always welcome I don't find this to be a big deal.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is why I stick to buying cards with reference designed PCBs but with aftermarket style coolers like the dual fan PNY 1070ti. 

On 01/01/2018 at 9:06 PM, wascalyryan said:

i sent phanteks a message and they informed me that even with the pcb change that their waterblocks still fit for anybody who may be wondering

I posted this in a related thread on the Water Cooling board, but wanted to pass it on here as well.  Here is what I've heard back from EKWB regarding this topic.  Unfortunately, it's not good news.

Thank you for contacting us.
I'm really sorry,but sadly we do not plan to make a new water block for the STRIX cards, as ASUS said that this change is only temporary and they will go back to the previous PCB version after some time. Sadly we don't know the reason for all this, but we don't plan to make a new block for these cards, sorry.

Best regards, Igor