GTX 1050 Ti Bottleneck?

SaiyanKurosaki

So my current rig isn't brilliant by todays standards and I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1050 maybe a Ti to replace my GTX 650, my worry is about bottlenecking the card, be it motherboard or CPU, cooling and power are fine. My current CPU is an old quad core i5-750 (from the LGA1156 socket days) and my mother board is a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R. I'm not worried about my power supply as its a 700W OCZ PSU (Overkill I know). So as far as I've researched the CPU won't bottle neck the card at all if only a rad in more CPU heavy games upto a 1060. My main concern is my motherboard being PCIe 2.0 (Can't recall if its x8 or x16). SO... Will it run or am I better off rebuilding this old rig from scratch? Also I can upgrade to an i7-860 if needed and I'm curious if that will be able to handle a GTX 1060 or even a 1070.

The games I wanna play: Dark Souls 1,2,3, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, GTA V, some Xbox 360 titles such as Splinter Cell Conviction. etc etc. I also am currently doing PS2 Emulation (I am aware that this is more CPU intense than GPU)

I would rebuild it because your CPU is such an old one. Ryzen is a good choice, so if you can wait until Ryzen + is released you can get a cheap but much better Ryzen 3 or even 5 that has the performance of a more expensive chip from Intel. You can also get better DDR4 ram which will help if anything.

However, your card will work fine if you choose to upgrade. So really it depends on how much performance you are willing to sacrifice, but you will see a huge jump in your GPU. (EDIT: regardless of any change in the rest of the system).

Okay, thanks. I think I'll buy the GPU for now and then try buy a new CPU and motherboard together later on. I don't really mind sacrificing too much performance, I just want games to run as good as or slightly better than the console generation they were released for.

don't rebuild.

Just get an 1050 ti, and have fun.

I had a HD 7870 (like 15-20% slower only than a 960), and an i5 750 (OC to 3.4), and upgraded to an i7 6700k. Wanted a platform upgrade.

With THIS GPU, i didn't notice any significant fps increases in almost all my games.

Get the 1050 ti, and be done with it.

If you THEN notice, your i5 750 is bottlenecking by any significant amount, try to OC it to like 3.4-3.8 ghz.

Otherwise, upgrade to something like Ryzen.

But as long your CPU doesn't bottleneck much, you don't really have to spend so much money for an upgrade, just to have 2 fps more maybe.

Check if the GPU always has 100% usage.

Also: How strong the CPU Bottlenecks which GPU depends on your Games + Settings ^^

There are games, where even a 1000€ Intel CPU bottlenecks.

I think with that CPU, you should be able to utilize at least 75-80% of the 1050Ti's power, probably more in most cases...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

I think that is a good pairing, but I would start saving for a new build if you want to keep up with AAA titles.

We have finally hit a point where sandy bridge owners should be considering upgrading this generation or the next to be relevant, and Sandy Bridge IIRC was a pretty massive bump from the original core i5/i7 architecture.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard