Pc freezing for 20 seconds

Will01

My pc was running fine, but i only had a 60gb ssd and decided to upgrade to a 120gb. i installed a legit copy of windows and all was good until i noticed the pc freezing up for like 20-30 seconds and then it suddenly came back as if nothing ever happened. This is super annoying in games as i just carry on walking forwards or whatever i was doing before it froze until my pc starts to respond. i gathered it was the ssd so i purchased a brand new crucial one and the same problem is occurring. *lol as i was typing this my pc just froze haha*. the way it freezes is weird though. as i just said typing this my pc froze i could not move my typing cursor but i could move my mouse over things like the bookmarks and more info would come up and i clicked "allow notifications" and it worked. its strange because it doesnt completely freeze. i think my drivers are good. graphics defiantly. ive also done a windows memory test and that showed no errors. any help would be really appreciated and have a merry Christmas!

Could you open up your task manager and go to the performance tab. there take a close watch at your drives. When your system freezes, is one of the drives running at 100%?

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

2 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Could you open up your task manager and go to the performance tab. there take a close watch at your drives. When your system freezes, is one of the drives running at 100%?

hmm. that might be hard to tell because obviously i cant do anything when the pc freezes. i will see if task manager still works when it freezes though and have task manager open and wait lol. Cant see it being the actual drive itself though at this point due to me getting a brand new crucial ssd.

Just now, Will01 said:

hmm. that might be hard to tell because obviously i cant do anything when the pc freezes. i will see if task manager still works when it freezes though and have task manager open and wait lol. Cant see it being the actual drive itself though at this point due to me getting a brand new crucial ssd.

I had that kind of issue with several machines. Some were identical in hardware, where one had that issue, the other didn't.

It has something to do with some windows notification settings. When those are active, at some time one drive goes up 100%, you can move the mouse, but everything you click on won't do much, sometimes clicks are memorized and as soon as the freeze goes some clicks get done that were in queue. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, Anghammarad said:

I had that kind of issue with several machines. Some were identical in hardware, where one had that issue, the other didn't.

It has something to do with some windows notification settings. When those are active, at some time one drive goes up 100%, you can move the mouse, but everything you click on won't do much, sometimes clicks are memorized and as soon as the freeze goes some clicks get done that were in queue. 

yeah i guess that sounds like the problem. ill just try and cause a freeze then and have task manager open on my other monitor. cheers again

1 minute ago, Will01 said:

yeah i guess that sounds like the problem. ill just try and cause a freeze then and have task manager open on my other monitor. cheers again

If you have that issue, go to the settings Actions and Notifications (I have to wildly translate from german) turn off show hints, tips etc while using windows.

Main System:

12 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

If you have that issue, go to the settings Actions and Notifications (I have to wildly translate from german) turn off show hints, tips etc while using windows.

ok no worries. think i got that! we will see if that fixes the problem. thanks again

23 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

hi i disabled that thing and it looks like the problem is still occurring. dont know if this is actual relevant but it doesnt seem to be happening as much. that could just be a coincidence.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:04 PM, Anghammarad said:

Hi, ive popped in the new ssd and still having the same problem. not noticing any high usage either. :( 

17 hours ago, Will01 said:

Hi, ive popped in the new ssd and still having the same problem. not noticing any high usage either. :( 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

you said you did a fresh install. in the device manager, are there some drivers missing? else are some devices like the sata controller running with MS generic sata drivers instead of the manufacturers?

Main System:

42 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Hi, sorry for the delay.

you said you did a fresh install. in the device manager, are there some drivers missing? else are some devices like the sata controller running with MS generic sata drivers instead of the manufacturers?

Hi. I checked that there are no missing drivers but I'm not sure about generic drivers. I'l have a look but I might have to screenshot it because I'm not certain what I'm looking for. Thanks again

2 hours ago, Will01 said:

Hi. I checked that there are no missing drivers but I'm not sure about generic drivers. I'l have a look but I might have to screenshot it because I'm not certain what I'm looking for. Thanks again

Like those here... 

After a fresh windows setup, usually those are not installed but microsoft own "generic" drivers. 

2017-12-29_LI.jpg

Main System:

28 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Like those here... 

After a fresh windows setup, usually those are not installed but microsoft own "generic" drivers. 

2017-12-29_LI.jpg

ah, this is what i see

http://prntscr.com/htti1g

one other thing, could it be my bios. i have a really old one. like its super out of date. ive only updated a bios once before dont want to have to do it if i dont have to but that doesnt mean im opposed to trying it :P 

do you think that could help?

17 minutes ago, Will01 said:

one other thing, could it be my bios. i have a really old one. like its super out of date. ive only updated a bios once before dont want to have to do it if i dont have to but that doesnt mean im opposed to trying it :P 

I usually keep my bios'es up to date. Only on some H8x Chipset I won't because they removed the overclocking features on those due to a demand from intel. 

But if the machine ran well with the old bios up to a point, I haven't really came across that as an issue, as long as the bios version installed wasn't known as buggy AF.

For me the screenshot of your device manager shows at least one ms generic driver. I know those tools aren't really spoken for, but due to my rusty AMD system driver searching skills, I would recommend getting the free version of driver booster. Install and let it check your system drivers, then if needed update the ones posted. Afterwards uninstall the driver booster and reboot. 

Main System:

29 minutes ago, Will01 said:

If you decide to update your bios, see if you can do that from within the UEFI, not from windows. (to decrease the chance the freeze affects your flasing process).

Which version of windows are you using btw?

another thing you could try is boot from a linux live usb to see if that freezes as well. (if that happens i'd guess it's a hardware issue)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

2 minutes ago, simson0606 said:

If you decide to update your bios, see if you can do that from within the UEFI, not from windows. (to decrease the chance the freeze affects your flasing process).

another thing you could try is boot from a linux live usb to see if that freezes as well. (if that happens i'd guess it's a hardware issue)

ahh thats a good idea. ill try all this and get back to you later. thanks again

1 hour ago, simson0606 said:

1 hour ago, Anghammarad said:

I usually keep my bios'es up to date. Only on some H8x Chipset I won't because they removed the overclocking features on those due to a demand from intel. 

But if the machine ran well with the old bios up to a point, I haven't really came across that as an issue, as long as the bios version installed wasn't known as buggy AF.

For me the screenshot of your device manager shows at least one ms generic driver. I know those tools aren't really spoken for, but due to my rusty AMD system driver searching skills, I would recommend getting the free version of driver booster. Install and let it check your system drivers, then if needed update the ones posted. Afterwards uninstall the driver booster and reboot. 

Hi, i got the driver booster thing and i had one outdated driver. chipset i think. im on windows 10 pro legit. i think i might try the new bios anyway due to how old it is. i understand what your saying about it working fine beforehand but at this point i am starting to try some stranger things due to how strange this problem has become. thanks again

4 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

4 hours ago, simson0606 said:

hey guys, not sure if this is related. but i was just playing fornite and it froze as usual basically but crashed much quicker and gave me the bad_module_info has stopped working. not sure if this is related?

1 hour ago, Will01 said:

hey guys, not sure if this is related. but i was just playing fornite and it froze as usual basically but crashed much quicker and gave me the bad_module_info has stopped working. not sure if this is related?

could get fixed by this :

not directly for fortnite, but the doing is the same.

Main System:

8 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

ah ok, i've only had this problem once and i was wondering if it could be related.

2 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

8 hours ago, simson0606 said:

so ive updated my bios and all drivers using that driver booster and also downloads from the motherboard website. i will see whilst gaming tomorrow if that fixes it. thanks again