60hz or 120hz Gsync (1060 6GB)

Waqas409

Guys whats more worth using with gtx 1060 6GB

1. 60hz gsync enabled
OR
2. 120hz gsync enabled

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Its a laptop Display.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

120Hz. Higher refresh rates are pretty much always better for GSync as it means it's active more of the time. Any time your FPS goes over the monitor's refresh rate, GSync turns off, so it's better to have a higher refresh rate so you're not as likely to go over it. 

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

120Hz. Higher refresh rates are pretty much always better for GSync as it means it's active more of the time. Any time your FPS goes over the monitor's refresh rate, GSync turns off, so it's better to have a higher refresh rate so you're not as likely to go over it. 

Thanks for the information. 

so i get 90-100fps in pubg, should i go with 60hz gsync, its a laptop display.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

Go for 60hz, for a 1060 you cannot really expect to push games over 80 frames especially triple A titles. And additionally 1060 on a laptop is like -10% from a desktop performance so go and see frame rate numbers on the games that you want to play and see if a 1060 can really push above 60 frames. Also if you are using it for esports 120hz is much better but i wouldn't use gsync for esports cuz it adds input lag.

2 minutes ago, bakidota said:

Go for 60hz, for a 1060 you cannot really expect to push games over 80 frames especially triple A titles. And additionally 1060 on a laptop is like -10% from a desktop performance so go and see frame rate numbers on the games that you want to play and see if a 1060 can really push above 60 frames. Also if you are using it for esports 120hz is much better but i wouldn't use gsync for esports cuz it adds input lag.

Thats pretty dope info right there.

thanks

4 minutes ago, Waqas409 said:

Thanks for the information. 

so i get 90-100fps in pubg, should i go with 60hz gsync, its a laptop display.

No, if you're running at 90-100FPS on a 60Hz panel, GSync isn't doing anything. If you were running at the same FPS on a 120Hz panel, GSync would be active.

5 minutes ago, bakidota said:

GSync doesn't add input lag. VSync does because of the frame buffer, but GSync has no frame buffer, the frames are output as soon as they're ready. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

No, if you're running at 90-100FPS on a 60Hz panel, GSync isn't doing anything. If you were running at the same FPS on a 120Hz panel, GSync would be active.

GSync doesn't add input lag. VSync does because of the frame buffer, but GSync has no frame buffer, the frames are output as soon as they're ready. 

Thats not what Linus says 

Btw I've been watching the pro scene in dota2 for almost 4 years now and no one has ever used gsync or freesync and they all play on 144hz monitors wonder why? cuz of input lag

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Its a laptop display and its has 60hz,120hz refresh rate, also there is an option to enable gsync.

5 minutes ago, bakidota said:

Thats not what Linus says 

Btw I've been watching the pro scene in dota2 for almost 4 years now and no one has ever used gsync or freesync and they all play on 144hz monitors wonder why? cuz of input lag

I like Linus for entertainment, but they're not exactly great for reliable and valid statistics. There's plenty of issues with how they tested that and even if they were valid, it seems like the results are all over the place, with no clear trend. Things like testing at 200FPS on a 144Hz monitor in that video is just pointless, as GSync and FreeSync aren't even active at that point anyway. 

eSports players basically have everything turned off regardless of what they do though, they just want as little interference as possible. 

Having used GSync on both 60Hz (on my own personal monitor) and 144Hz (on a friend's monitor) as well as turning it on and off to check if I can notice any difference, it feels exactly the same in terms of delay/lag in that there isn't any. If you turn on VSync, depending on the game, you can often feel the delay, but GSync, you can't. 

2 minutes ago, Waqas409 said:

Its a laptop display and its has 60hz,120hz refresh rate, also there is an option to enable gsync.

120Hz GSync is what I would suggest. I personally use GSync on my main display and there's no noticeable input lag increase compared to no GSync