Aorus GTX 1080 Ti fan problems

I am having problems with the fans on my Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB. They will often spin up to 100% and they become uncontrollable and will not report the correct fan speed.

I have noticed the problem so far after 2 different scenarios. 

1. Sometimes after booting the PC.
  2. Sometimes after closing War Thunder.

I do run some custom settings on my cards because I like to keep my temps low. I initially used the Gigabyte Aorus app to make changes but have since switched to MSI Afterburner. The settings I use are

1. Set custom fan curves - I set them to start at 10% at 45c, stay that way till 50c, then ramp to 100% by 90c. This means the fans won't on/off under low usage, and will run about 70% (I just hear them over ambient noise) at 65c
  2. Set thermal throttle at 65c - With maximum quality settings I am still getting +100fps when I'm using the card so this isn't restricting performance.
  3. Set power limit to 120%(300w) - 2 x 8pin PCIE rated for 150w. I want the card to have all the juice it requires since I am not concerned about overheating because of other settings.

When the problem occurs some things happen

1. The fans no longer report their speed. Tested in Gigabyte Aorus app, MSI Afterburner, and GPU-Z
  2. The fans will not respond to any setting changes.

The only way I can stop the fans once they go into this mode is to turn the PC off and restart it. A reboot will not work as it leaves the card powered.

I have noticed that once this problem has occurred once the fan stop will no longer work. That is to say that when the card is idle and at low temps the fans will not stop like they are supposed to. They will be constantly on. I am guessing at around 10% but can't tell because reporting apps all say the fans are stopped.

I can temporarily fix the problem by reflashing the GPU BIOS. The fans will then be idle at low temps. However the problem will randomly occur again.

As odd as it may sound I actually suspect it is War Thunder that is causing this issue. That when the problem occurs on reboot it is after playing War Thunder in the previous session.

Any ideas on how I might stop this from happening? (without stopping playing WT, and while still setting my GPU settings)

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

I believe I have sorted this issue.

I had to uninstall afterburner. It was causing weird throttling issues.It would sometimes reduce fps from 60 to 45 even though the card was never maxed out or too hot or anything.

I reinstalled Aorus but removed all but the following files from .\Aorus Graphics Engine\Led

BSL430.dll
GvDisplay.dll
GvFireware.dll
GvLedService.exe

I also removed these files from .\Aorus Graphics Engine

MBLed.exe
RunLed.exe
SelLed.exe

I can still control the led's on my card and have not experienced any problems over the last 2 days.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

• 2 months later...
On 30/12/2017 at 8:24 AM, keskparane said:

I believe I have sorted this issue.

I had to uninstall afterburner. It was causing weird throttling issues.It would sometimes reduce fps from 60 to 45 even though the card was never maxed out or too hot or anything.

I reinstalled Aorus but removed all but the following files from .\Aorus Graphics Engine\Led

BSL430.dll
GvDisplay.dll
GvFireware.dll
GvLedService.exe

I also removed these files from .\Aorus Graphics Engine

MBLed.exe
RunLed.exe
SelLed.exe

I can still control the led's on my card and have not experienced any problems over the last 2 days.

I have the same problem with the same card, but my 1080ti's fans are always runing at its max speed.

I had tried to:

reinstall Aorus Graphics Engine and deleted those files you says.

Flash GPU using nvflash and official BIOS files from gigabyte (F3 & F3P)

reinstall App Center and its apps

I had noticed when I reinstall app center my fans start spinning quiet for the very first minutes but after that they become uncontrollable again, in any case they only report its right speed when I using any software that demands a high GPU usage, also fans stop's LED is turn on when the fans are working at its max due to GPU usage, but when the fans are working at max without using any software the led is turn off. any sugestion or should I consider RMA?

@Eric A. While that fix did appear to work for a while it eventually failed.

I reflashed the 1080 bios again and it worked. The card has 2 bios, 1 for DVI and one for HDMI. I think the reason I had trouble the first time was because I flashed both bios without a reboot. Make sure to only flash 1 bios then reboot pc if you want to flash the second bios as well.

Since reflashing my card has been stable (about 2 1/2 months now). I no longer bother with aorus, it is not installed on my system. I just run the card with the standard nvidia drivers.

On 20/3/2018 at 9:25 PM, keskparane said:

I reflashed the 1080 bios again and it worked. The card has 2 bios, 1 for DVI and one for HDMI. I think the reason I had trouble the first time was because I flashed both bios without a reboot. Make sure to only flash 1 bios then reboot pc if you want to flash the second bios as well.

Since reflashing my card has been stable (about 2 1/2 months now). I no longer bother with aorus, it is not installed on my system. I just run the card with the standard nvidia drivers.

I'm gonna try to get a DVI-D adapter because when I try to flash the second BIOS using DP or HDMI the program says the board is not compatible

On 3/20/2018 at 8:25 PM, keskparane said:

Rma it

21 hours ago, Eric A. said:

I'm gonna try to get a DVI-D adapter because when I try to flash the second BIOS using DP or HDMI the program says the board is not compatible

What CPU do you have? If you have integrated graphics the easiest way is to use them while flashing.

If you are trying to flash the AD bios without using the DVI-D port then it shows you're not following Gigabytes instructions.

21 hours ago, MANDINGO said:

Rma it

Why? It works as intended.

21 hours ago, keskparane said:

What CPU do you have? If you have integrated graphics the easiest way is to use them while flashing.

If you are trying to flash the AD bios without using the DVI-D port then it shows you're not following Gigabytes instructions.

I have a Ryzen 7, so I do not have integrated graphics ... I'll try to get a DVI-D adapter cause after flashing it using a HDMI cable (AH BIOS) fans were not stopped at all but they was working very quiet (sometimes they was runnig at its max speed since boot) and they was ramdomly stopping after 5 ~ 10 minutes after using any software that demand a high GPU usage. Then I've tried to flash the second BIOS (AD version) using DP but the fans started to spin at its max speed after 5 ~ 10 minutes, then I tried to flash it using HDMI but it is like BIOS is now corrupted because the fans some times are quiet but most of the time they are runing at its max since start.

21 hours ago, MANDINGO said:

Rma it

By now it is my last option because I'm living in Mexico and I bought the card to Amazon Mexico but Amazon Mexico bought the card to Amazon USA so it means a couple of months without GPU :/

@Eric A. You could always remote desktop into your pc and do it that way. Then you don't have to have displays plugged into the card.

9 hours ago, keskparane said:

@Eric A. You could always remote desktop into your pc and do it that way. Then you don't have to have displays plugged into the card.

I have tried that without success, now fans are always running at its max... xD but the extrange thing is every time I have tried  to flash it using the AD version I get this messange: board is incompatible with firmware version. ???

1.png

@Eric A. That's the older bios. Have you tried F3P? 

And just to double check, you don't have the extreme edition right?

8 hours ago, keskparane said:

@Eric A. That's the older bios. Have you tried F3P? 

And just to double check, you don't have the extreme edition right?

Yes I have tried both versions F3 and F3P on both cases AD version shows the same messange, with AH versions I have no problem, I'll buy a DVI-D adapter this weekend and try to figure it out... BTW I have the "normal" edition (model: GV-N108TAORUS-11GD)

2.png

@keskparane Ok I've updated mi GPU using all its ports (DVI-D, DP and HDMI) I've tried both BIOS versions (F3 and F3P) but I can only make GPU's fans to work very silent til I run any software which demands a high GPU usage but once they start spining the only way to stop them is rebooting... I don't know if it's safe keep trying to flash BIOS because I have achieve a less noisy fans at least for the first minutes... all this begun, after a GPU's BIOS update the only way to stop the fans was to use Aorus Graphics Engine and sellect the silent profile, once this option stoped working, the new way I found to stop them was using the option on Aorus software that allows you to crontrol if the fans are active or not, once this option stoped working the only ways to stop them was disabling the GPU on device manager then after a few second enable it again... but again this method stoped to work after a few attemps to flash the BIOS

Have you tried not running aorus?

On 28/3/2018 at 3:48 AM, keskparane said:

Have you tried not running aorus?

Man I feel so foolish... I had found what's the problem:

There's a factory building error, one 3 pin fan connector it's being smashed by the cooler chamber they even broke it. I (riskily) tried to push it back ward (just a little bit and very carefully to try to not loose my garanty) by now the fans are working perfectly and I can control it with MSI or Aorus Software, but I can't make RMA (by now) because I'm already starting new semester on the school and my CPU don't have integrated graphics, the RMA is gonna take a couple of mounths, that's for sure (Amazon México needs to send it back to the United States) so I'm really fucked up... I'll try to send the card back by october or something closer, I hope not to have any troubles making valid my garanty. 

WP_20180330_16_27_31_Rich.jpg

Edited by Eric A.