Voltage across Laptop Cooler (AC-DC)

Adonis4000
Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,
1 minute ago, Adonis4000 said:

that was the general idea, plugging the cooler to a cell phone charger (I have one from an old phone at 5V and 0.2A).

I am more worried about the AC - DC thing. When connected to the laptop it will have a DC, but when connected to the cellphone charger I assume it will have an AC voltage, right?

No, the cell phone charger has a transformer and some other circuitry that takes 120V AC and makes it 5V DC. Your phone runs on DC remember?

I recently bought a "Deepcool N8 Black" laptop cooler which is meant to connect to your laptop via a usb port to cool it down.

The problem is, I don't want to connect it to my laptop (it will drain its battery while gaming) and want to connect it to a house outlet.

According to this website: http://www.deepcool.com/product/nbcooler/upto17/2013-12/27_584.shtml

Its voltage is in DC and I know that power outlets have an AC voltage.

Will this have an effect on the cooler and is there something I can do about it?

2 minutes ago, Adonis4000 said:

(it will drain its battery while gaming) and want to connect it to a house outlet.

is there a reason your laptop will not be plugged into a wall but the cooler will be?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

is there a reason your laptop will not be plugged into a wall but the cooler will be?

The laptop will be plugged in, however unfortunately its battery is not removable and I want to reduce the chance of completely messing it up by using the cooler as well.

Just plug it into a cell phone charger wallwart if you don't want it plugged into your laptop.  It runs on USB which means its at 5V DC, if you plug it into 120V AC you have a good chance of hurting yourself, and a 100% chance of breaking the notebook cooler.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

3 minutes ago, Adonis4000 said:

The laptop will be plugged in, however unfortunately its battery is not removable and I want to reduce the chance of completely messing it up by using the cooler as well.

you understand that when your laptop is plugged in it pulls power from the wall and not the battery right?

the laptops power brick is overpowered enough to not only charge the battery but run the machine and anything connected to it. 

your laptops battery will die over it's lifespan from simply being a lithium ion battery that only has a few good years in it anyway. Not from running usb devices. 

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Just plug it into a cell phone charger wallwart if you don't want it plugged into your laptop.  It runs on USB which means its at 5V DC, if you plug it into 120V AC you have a good chance of hurting yourself, and a 100% chance of breaking the notebook cooler.

that was the general idea, plugging the cooler to a cell phone charger (I have one from an old phone at 5V and 0.2A).

I am more worried about the AC - DC thing. When connected to the laptop it will have a DC, but when connected to the cellphone charger I assume it will have an AC voltage, right?

1 minute ago, Adonis4000 said:

No, the cell phone charger has a transformer and some other circuitry that takes 120V AC and makes it 5V DC. Your phone runs on DC remember?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, Adonis4000 said:

but when connected to the cellphone charger I assume it will have an AC voltage, right?

cellphone chargers are dc converters. do you think all cellphones are charged with 120 volts of straight ac power?

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

welp, I guess that solves it then. Thanks :D