Guest additions... gpu thingy.. hepl

So long story short I am trying to run a specific game on Ubuntu in a virtual box, this game being runescape... why I am doing this you ask? Well there new client has occasional issues including the one of an update a few months ago breaking it for some people to the point whare the break becomes ingrained in the OS with no fix besides an OS reinstall. I don't want to do that so I'm running Ubuntu in a VB so I can play this on the new client on my main pc. The guest additions thing let's you use your host gpu in the VB and I follow the instructions and it wasent working so I double checked and 3d acceleration was off so I enabled that in virtual box and now I get to the Ubuntu login screen, enter password and that's it... won't go any further unless I disable 3d acceleration which then I can't run the game. Help please what did I do wrong?

I insure you the official Runescape client is clean, you could always run it in a sandbox too if you don't absolutely trust the program. Sandboxie "uses isolation technology to separate programs from your underlying operating system preventing unwanted changes from happening to your personal data, programs and applications that rest safely on your hard drive."

What kind of problems happen when using this program? You said it gets ingrained in your system, but can you elaborate? 

45 minutes ago, KoreanWaffle said:

I insure you the official Runescape client is clean, you could always run it in a sandbox too if you don't absolutely trust the program. Sandboxie "uses isolation technology to separate programs from your underlying operating system preventing unwanted changes from happening to your personal data, programs and applications that rest safely on your hard drive."

What kind of problems happen when using this program? You said it gets ingrained in your system, but can you elaborate? 

Oh it just freezes at loading application resources and there is no fix for it, you can update every driver on the pc and delete everything to do with jagex and runescape on all the drives on the PC and it still will freeze there at that same stage with no fix. It happend after an update a few months ago and I am not the only one experiencing this issue, the reason I want to try and get it working in a VM is so I can play it on my main PC without having to use the java version. There is only 1 fix I know of which is to reinstall the OS. 

You could always try WINE its a program that allows you to run Windows exe's in linux. 

Either WINE on your linux setup or sandboxie which allows you to completely install the program into a locked down environment and you can delete whenever you please. 

What GPU are you using? How much graphics memory are you giving your VM? Have you installed the latest VM software?

1 hour ago, KoreanWaffle said:

What GPU are you using? How much graphics memory are you giving your VM? Have you installed the latest VM software?

There are 2 1080s in sli but I set it in nvidia to select my 970 that I use for physics. I can run runescape in the ubuntu VM it just does not have enough GPU power which is the issue but I am just going to stick with my method that has been working but is annoying... Remote into one of my servers with splashtop and play it that way. 

30 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Try using this client instead: https://github.com/HikariKnight/rsu-client

I only use offical stuff, too risky but thanks

6 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

There are 2 1080s in sli but I set it in nvidia to select my 970 that I use for physics. I can run runescape in the ubuntu VM it just does not have enough GPU power which is the issue but I am just going to stick with my method that has been working but is annoying... Remote into one of my servers with splashtop and play it that way. 

I only use offical stuff, too risky but thanks

I've used it before years ago and it's fine. It's open source and it's been around since 2012. If it was malware, it would have been taken down from GitHub by now.