Is my CPU running too hot?

bell55
Go to solution Solved by Stevoisboss,

95C is way too hot. Make sure your cpu cooler is on all the way and thermal paste is applied properly. 

I built my PC and after running AIDA64's system stability test I have temperatures up to 95 degrees. However, it only idles at ~30 degrees. Is this too hot for the 8700k. I'm using the Fractal Design Celsius s24 as the CPU cooler.

HWMonitor_2017-12-21_12-51-33.png

While you wouldn't want to keep it at that temp as you can risk damaging it over time, it will start to bottleneck itself to cool down. I am not surprised as I built a 8700k gaming rig for my friend and overclocked it and the CPU runs dam hot. Realize that under most use cases your not going to peg you CPU at 100% for a long period of time. Just monitor it while gaming or usage.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

i would re-place this cpu cooler, use good thermal paste and just a little!  95C is way to much, even in stress it shouldnt go that far.

Something isnt fit the right way or so , or... just the temps are wrong read, it happen too.

Yes. Thats too hot. Try reapplying the thermal paste:

Spoiler

1- Get some thermal paste,either Artic Silver 5 or Thermal grizzly and some TIM cleaner, You could probably go with out, the TIM cleaner that is, it but it makes the job easier. Make sure you have an anti-static strap and your using it, its unlikely to matter anyway but better be safe then sorry. 
2- Disassemble you computer, to the level where you can remove the cooler(So if you have a PC don’t take the whole thing part unless you have to) then remove the heatsink.Once you have taken the heat sink off, put some TIM remover onto some tissue, toilet paper will be fine, and gently wipe over the CPU/GPU/North bridge(Select as appropriate). until there is no paste left, not even a trace should be left. If the TIM isn’t coming off easily then you can put some directly onto the chip.
3- Wait 2-3 minutes, this lets the tim cleaner lifts what has been missed. 
4- Wipe all the surfaces you have just cleaned with a material like your t-shirt, a first run of this stage could be done with some tissue then your t-shirt but it doesn’t really matter as long as it is gone.
5- Apply a line of thermal paste in a parallel line to the longest edge on the CPU/GPU/North bridge.
6- Spread it out most TIM kits include a spreader but you can always use some cling film over the end of your finger, I found the spreader easier but your milage may vary; you want a thin layer over the whole die, making sure that you can't see the die, if there is some on the socket latch (or on the green part,Mobile chips) then its not too important but some people may remove it, I personally don’t bother.
7- Place the heat sink down at a one or two degree angle and then turn it so that the mounting holes are all align, then wait a few minutes, this allows the air to escape.
8- Tighten the screws down in a star like pattern, make them all finger tight and then go around with a screw driver, the heatsink shouldn’t move at all. 
9- Make sure that it is all tight and reassemble you computer.
Thermal paste doesn’t last long and should ideally be replaced yearly. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

yes that is way too hot for everyday use.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Reapply thermal paste and check again afterwards. RMA the cooler if this won't fix the temps.

i7-4790k|ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme|4 x 4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1866MHz|Noctua NH-D14|500GB Samsung 850|2 x 1TB Western Digital|1 x 4TB Western Digital

Look at the max voltage 1.351V is a lot, if that is being read correctly it could easily cause those temps. I'm running my 8700K at 4.6GHZ on all cores with only 1.2V and I'm getting 85C running AIDA64. I also have a 30*C idle temp

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

1.351V is way too much. Go with a lower voltage and try again.

i7-4790k|ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme|4 x 4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1866MHz|Noctua NH-D14|500GB Samsung 850|2 x 1TB Western Digital|1 x 4TB Western Digital

I have 6700k witch ran with stock cooler and hitted 97celsius very often and is still ok.Now i bought custom loop and there is no damage to the cpu.