How to enable usb on back of monitor

atavax

I just got a light strip for bias lighting on my desk. I plug the strip into the usb port on the back of my monitor and it doesn't turn on. I plug it in to the back of my pc and it turns on fine. Any ideas what could be wrong? Power Saving features? usb port disabled somewhere? Do i have to run a usb cable from my pc to my monitor to power the usb connection on the monitor?

The monitor is the BenQ XL2720Z https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWFNMJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe there's a cable that you first need to plug into the monitor from your PC, since the USB ports on the monitor are just a built-in USB hub and will not function if there's no USB input from the PC.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, atavax said:

I just got a light strip for bias lighting on my desk. I plug the strip into the usb port on the back of my monitor and it doesn't turn on. I plug it in to the back of my pc and it turns on fine. Any ideas what could be wrong? Power Saving features? usb port disabled somewhere?

The monitor is the BenQ XL2720Z https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWFNMJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you need to connect it to your pc first

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I believe there's a cable that you first need to plug into the monitor from your PC, since the USB ports on the monitor are just a built-in USB hub and will not function if there's no USB input from the PC.

well usually a monitor is a powered hub, but only activates if it detects a pc. 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

well usually a monitor is a powered hub, but only activates if it detects a pc. 

There needs to be somewhere for the data to transfer between the PC and monitor other than the video/audio signal for USB though, so logically it would need to connect to a PC.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There needs to be somewhere for the data to transfer between the PC and monitor other than the video/audio signal for USB though, so logically it would need to connect to a PC.

well yeah, but most "powered usb hubs" provide power even if you dont plug them in to a pc. just to charge your stuff or something. monitors are usually different. 

that's what i meant. 

She/Her

i guess the monitors USB doesnt supply enough current, USB 2.0 has 500mA max but maybe it doesnt even delivery that much.

3 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

i guess the monitors USB doesnt supply enough current, USB 2.0 has 500mA max but maybe it doesnt even delivery that much.

huh? i have phone chargers that are usb 2.0 and are 2A, one even 2.1...

She/Her

7 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

huh? i have phone chargers that are usb 2.0 and are 2A, one even 2.1...

yes but that are chargers and they operate outside of the USB specifications, this is also why the phone initially will always receive 500mA max until the phone signals the charger is can handle more.

the same is done for the new USB type C standard where the device itself has to tell the charger which voltage and current is needs.