Question about ehre to connect antistatic wristbands

GrandMushroom5

I am building a new pc this christmas and i was wondering where you would clip yourself if you are using an anti static wristbands. I know that at the start tou would clip the ati static wristbands onto the power supply, plug the power supply into a socket and don’t turn it on. But where do you clip yourself if you want to place your power supply inside your pc and your case has a power supply shroud, where do you clip yourself onto then?

Clip it to the case when you motherboard is screwed into the case. That way you and the mobo are charged the same. Fun fact: if you look at your mobo you'll see metal around the holes that you use to screw the mobo in. They are there for that exact reason. 

I just clip it to any available piece of metal that won't conduct to my PC or person(a metal fork for example). Or I just attach it to my modmat.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The power supply's metal shroud would protect it while you aren't grounded, just don't wear a wool sweater on a shag carpet and you'll be fine. 

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Or I just attach it to my modmat.

Modmat?

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

Just now, PerfectPlasma said:

Modmat?

Yeah, it's an antistatic workspace that Linus has recommended many times back in the kitchen.

http://www.modright.com/cat/l1/g61/Mod-Mat.html?id=8IJPX4ku

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I just clip it to any available piece of metal that won't conduct to my PC or person(a metal fork for example). Or I just attach it to my modmat.

Does clipping it onto a fork work?

Just now, GrandMushroom5 said:

Does clipping it onto a fork work?

It's always worked for me, as long as the fork is metal you should be fine

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't that be exactly the same as just putting a fork in you pocket? (so it wouldn't work at all) 

Just now, Ansger said:

correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't that be exactly the same as just putting a fork in you pocket? (so it wouldn't work at all) 

Possibly, but I've never had a problem with it so that's my go-to when I can't set up my modmat.

Imstead of clipping it to the power supply, is there a place where i could clip it for the whole time i am building it?

1 minute ago, GrandMushroom5 said:

Imstead of clipping it to the power supply, is there a place where i could clip it for the whole time i am building it?

The recommended use is clipping it to the case. A metal pipe running into the ground will also work. 

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Plug it into a wall outlet

Man why haven’t i thought of plugging it into a socket before. It’s not like i’ll die or anything, right guys?

16 minutes ago, GrandMushroom5 said:

Man why haven’t i thought of plugging it into a socket before. It’s not like i’ll die or anything, right guys?

the grounding lug on the wall outlet is quite safe, i assure you.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

So is the best place to clip the wristband on the case, and if i do clip it on the case what part of the case do i clip it to?

1 minute ago, GrandMushroom5 said:

So is the best place to clip the wristband on the case, and if i do clip it on the case what part of the case do i clip it to?

any non-painted surface.

and the case must also be grounded.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

any non-painted surface.

and the case must also be grounded.

By grounded do you mean it just has to touch the floor and i am pretty sure all the metal parts of my case is painted black