How to tell if my cpu is dead?

Ayala

Really sounds like a board or power issue... not a cpu issue. It's not something silly like knocking the power button cable lose so you never really started the pc... just the psu? Or a short some place....? Bad ram?

try to run the machine without the graphics card if you havent already

you could just be missing drivers, or something else

also, check if your cpu has any gunk under it since you de lidded it. If you haven't placed any thermal compound, or there is excess that hits the other parts of your processor, try as much to remove/add thermal goop.

also, you can check the total wattage of your machine, and see if your power supply is too weak.

7 hours ago, Iggledude said:

1st:  Be safe.  Unplug the PSU everytime, then:

2nd:  Start with all of the hardwire connections.  Make sure every cable and wire and plug is connected to the correct cable in, wire in, and/or plugin (and plugged in well at both the PSU source and the Mobo source).  Make sure to check the manual and all of the connections are in well..  Ensure all of these are correct via the manual, then try and fire it up.

3rd:  Unplug PSU (you'll see a trend starting here).  If it still didn't start, as was mentioned earlier... take the CMOS battery out and all ram out.  Hit the power button about three times.  Wait a half-hour or maybe a little less.  Then place the CMOS battery back in. And then install one stick of ram in the correct slot--check manual.  Plug in the PSU and fire it up.  Make sure that stick of ram is slotted in the right place, very important.

4th:  If nothing again, go through all the steps in 3rd step but replace ram stick with other ram stick in same spot.  Be safe, PSU unplugged.  Once other ram stick is in, plug psu up and try and fire it up.

5th:  (Optional)  Repeat step three and four with ram sticks in other corresponding correct slot (usually outside one stick slot).  Refer to the manual but usually the best way to test for ram failure is to check the manual and start at the first slot.  Usually the closer of the two correct slots for one stick ram usage -- closest to the cpu--most are differing colors--like grey and black.  Be safe, unplug psu every time>>>  A pain in the butt, but safe AND effective.

6th:  If there are any beeps or a code you hear or see, it can save you a LOT of time by looking them up in manual or even online via another pc of some sort (laptop maybe).  This suggestion prolly should be number one, but I can see you've already covered beeps and codes above through other posts.

7th:  With a magnifying glass, or grandpa's glasses (lol), look for any crack(s) or chip(s) on the motherboard---front and back.  Make sure your cooler is coming on and running correctly.  Make sure the cooler is seated properly.  Look for any cracks or chips on the motherboard--they can hide in hard to see places--that's why I say good lighting and magnifying lens is your good friend here.

8th:  Be safe.  Take it all apart and inspect the cpu and mobo pins so very closely.  Good light and magnifying lens.  If all looks good, put it all back together slowly, making sure to adhere to the manual at all times.  Ensure the CPU is seated correctly, no force, just a nudge and a wiggle, no force needed--that's the Mobo/CPU clamp's job.  Also, support from both the mobo maker and cpu maker MAY BE of SOME service to you.  Just hush-hush on the delidding part of the story, if ya know what I mean.

That's all I got.  I hope it helps.  I pray all is ok with both the board and CPU.

Last thing here:  If there is another desktop PC in the home, make sure that power supply in this new PC can crank and run that other machine -- worth a shot if all else fails.

Regards,

Iggledude

This is insanely helpful! I will go through all of these in the next few days and hopefully have a functional pc. Thank you so much!

You are extremely welcome.  Good luck.  :-)

CPU:  Intel Core i7 7700K OCed to 5GHz.
Motherboard:  Asus ROG STRIX RGB GAMING Z270E.
RAM:  G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 32GB DDR4 3200MHz.
GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler (Highly Overclocked on LN2 BIOS).
Case:  Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full Tower -- Black.
Storage:  2x Samsung 960 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs (RAID 0), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD, Corsair Voyager GTX 256GB USB 3.0 Rear Flash Drive, Samsung MUF-128DA2/WW USB Type-C 3.1 128GB Rear Flash Drive, (In-Home Router Backup) -- WD 4TB Black My Passport Portable External USB 3.0 HDD.

PSU:  Corsair AX860 Platinum Edition; Fully Modular.
Cooling:   Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler w/ 4x Noctua SSO2 Bearing NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM Fans in Push/Pull Exhaust Configuration; 5x Corsair ML120 Pro LED Blue 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Case Intake Fans; and 1x Corsair ML140 Pro LED Blue 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Rear Exhaust Fan.

Interior Lighting:  2x Corsair Lighting Node Pros -- (Bright White Interior Illumination).
Keyboard:  Tt eSPORTS MEKA G1 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard w/ Cherry MX Black Keys.

Mouse:  Razer DeathAdder Chroma - Multi-Color Ergonomic RGB Gaming Mouse (2015 Model).

Sound:  Integrated Sound -- Razer Kraken Pro Headphones w/ Mic -- BOSE Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System.

Monitors:  3x (HP 2511x) 25-Inch LED Monitor--Black.

Wireless Router:  NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000).
Modem:  NETGEAR CM600 24X8 Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0 Max Download Speeds of 960Mbps -- (ISP-Spectrum).

On 12/19/2017 at 10:04 AM, Iggledude said:

You are extremely welcome.  Good luck.  :-)

I am actually completely retarded. I got everything right in my first build and just now realized that I didn’t turn on the power. It is completely functional, thank you for your help!! I am going to install windows tonight. 

2 hours ago, Ayala said:

I am actually completely retarded. I got everything right in my first build and just now realized that I didn’t turn on the power. It is completely functional, thank you for your help!! I am going to install windows tonight. 

Lol don't panic.... I have had times when I was all night trying to solve a problem and all it was, was the little 2 pin thing for powering on the board not plugged in... or a drive plugged in a specialized slots... we all have or dumb days aha