Cloned 256 to 512, cant extend partition

dewie93

Hi guys,

I've done this before on machines at work, but for some reason on my personal machine it isn't doing what I want.

I've cloned my previous 256gb SSD (SATA M.2 in an adapter to fit into a 2.5" bay) onto a 512GB PCI Nvme SSD - speed and more space. 

Cloned with Clonezilla and boots fine. Installed Partition Master to extend the previous partition to the extra space, but it doesn't show there is anywhere to extend to. And i'm definitely on the new 512!

Anyone come across the empty space not showing up? Not sure where to go with it now.

Anyone know of any within windows ways of extending the partitions (not using disk management as it doesn't show there) 

Did you build the machine yourself originally with the 256, or was it an OEM machine/prebuilt? This sounds like a dumb question, but it's relevant, I promise.

Edit: can you take a screenshot of Disk management for us also? I have a feeling you probably have a system (Recovery) partition after the main data partition, and that's causing the problems.

This is a common (wrong) setup used by OEM's who do not follow best practice for partition layouts.

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Did you build the machine yourself originally with the 256, or was it an OEM machine/prebuilt? This sounds like a dumb question, but it's relevant, I promise.

Its an Asus laptop but it was an SSD I installed myself. 

Think I have solved it.

Using Parition Master, there was only showing a 300kb partition to the side, decided to just extend to that. Once rebooted, the further empty section of the drive appeared so I am about to merge/extend the main partition. Hopefully this will work :)

1 minute ago, dewie93 said:

Its an Asus laptop but it was an SSD I installed myself. 

Think I have solved it.

Using Parition Master, there was only showing a 300kb partition to the side, decided to just extend to that. Once rebooted, the further empty section of the drive appeared so I am about to merge/extend the main partition. Hopefully this will work :)

Good luck. :)

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Good luck. :)

Seemed to do the trick! How strange how it didn't show it all at first. I guess computers will never seize to confuse us! Thanks for your input Tabs :)