Fix corrupt OS ?

My ubuntu OS got corrupted in an upgrade, there is only 1 thing on there that I need which is my website, maybe help reinstalling in after I reinstall the OS but still mainly getting the site. How do I retrive my website? Can I just run windows and copy specific files from the OS and reinstall them in a new Ubuntu or what? Sorry for the double post, I posted in the wrong spot before 

What did you use? Apache? Any databases? Post as much info about the site and its creation as you can so we have a better idea.

What kind of website?  If it's just HTML and php, then you can just copy from the /var/www directory.  If it had database involvement, it is much more involved, and you'd probably want to head to a dedicated linux forum and start asking questions there.

I'd recommend using an Ubuntu live USB to recover the files from the corrupted install though.  You don't want to use windows to copy the files as it may not even be able to read the partition, and even if it can, it wouldn't be able to keep the proper file permissions to work again on another ubuntu server.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

\

4 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

What did you use? Apache? Any databases? Post as much info about the site and its creation as you can so we have a better idea.

Word press website, using apache.... I think there is a database as I have gotten the error connecting to database thing before. It was made a while ago and I had help. 

5 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

\

Word press website, using apache.... I think there is a database as I have gotten the error connecting to database thing before. It was made a while ago and I had help. 

Ah, you likely have a mysql database. I've recovered one before by making sure the versions of everything matched exactly, but it was more luck than skill. Try asking in the Wordpress forums. But definitely heed @zombienerd's advice of using a live USB rather than Windows.

30 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Ah, you likely have a mysql database. I've recovered one before by making sure the versions of everything matched exactly, but it was more luck than skill. Try asking in the Wordpress forums. But definitely heed @zombienerd's advice of using a live USB rather than Windows.

sorry forgot to quote 

Maybe, but do an image backup before any attempts.

see I tried to update to the new ubuntu release and I got a few errors during the process and now it just completely stops at a console of errors on boot, no gui or anything and safe mode makes no difference. I can clone the drive I guess yes, but wait...how do I do it properly considering all my other systems are windows? or will a clone work fine for that even if done through windows

5 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Maybe, but do an image backup before any attempts.

You use more than one OS on the drive?

13 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

You use more than one OS on the drive?

It has and old copy of Windows 7 on it I just meant I can't exactly clone the drive in the broken OS I would have to connect it to another working pc

You could do Clonezilla from a live USB. Though I guess go with what you're comfortable with.

4 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

You could do Clonezilla from a live USB. Though I guess go with what you're comfortable with.

13 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

CloneZilla is a liveUSB OS that aims at helping you clone your OS between different drives. It's mainly used when peoples get an SSD but already have windows on their old HDD.

He wants you to use it to make a copy of your OS so you can try to get your files without risking them.

3 hours ago, MrPatience said:

CloneZilla is a liveUSB OS that aims at helping you clone your OS between different drives. It's mainly used when peoples get an SSD but already have windows on their old HDD.

He wants you to use it to make a copy of your OS so you can try to get your files without risking them.

21 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

Ok cool and then how do I move to the part of fixing my broken os :P 

Head over to ubuntuforums.org. Be prepared with detailed info of the errors you're getting and how you went about the upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

If the OS is shot, have you tried a live USB/CD and pulled the files that way you maybe able to boot and then mount the disk

Boot a LiveDisk, mount the filesystem and retrieve the files you need. Then just reinstall the OS if it is broken. Windows probably won't be able to mount the filesystem, so a LiveDisk for Ubuntu or something like it would be the best.

On a side note: With a LiveDisk you can also chroot into the machine and attempt any OS-repair. I'd suggest just retrieving your files and reinstall.

P.S. This is why it's recommended to have /home and / on different partitions. That way your OS can go to shit, but you keep all your files on the /home partition if you need to reformat /.

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad