X79 motherboards and harddrives.

Jizburg

i just got myself a 4tb harddrive.. and i found out that my current FX8350 platform was incompatible with the drive.

this sucks and i need to change mobo and processor..

does the intel socket 2011 X79 chipset support 4 tb drives?

Why not get a new Hard drive?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Chipset doesn't matter, your motherboard does. Most s2011 boards support 4TB. The 8350 on a ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z will support 4TB. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Why would you jump to 2011 and not 11XX the price difference is Huge. Just get a new motherboard for AM3+ or and enclosure that can handle 4TB drives.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Why not get a new Hard drive?

dunno.. just checking my options :P

Chipset doesn't matter, your motherboard does. Most s2011 boards support 4TB. The 8350 on a ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z will support 4TB. 

ok i am thinking of

MSI X79A-GD45 PLUS, ASUS Rampage IV Formula, or ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME

are these any good?

and you are shure of that?

Why would you jump to 2011 and not 11XX the price difference is Huge. Just get a new motherboard for AM3+ or and enclosure that can handle 4TB drives.

just preference... been thinking about socket 2011 for a while and saw this as an exuse to finaly change.

If you just get a new motherboard it would work, what motherboard do you have now?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

dunno.. just checking my options :P

ok i am thinking of

MSI X79A-GD45 PLUS, ASUS Rampage IV Formula, or ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME

are these any good?

and you are shure of that?

I am sure of that. As for those boards... The Formula is crap, but the other two are fine. The Gigabyte X79 UD3 and X79 UP4 are also good. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

If you just get a new motherboard it would work, what motherboard do you have now?

i have the Crosshair V Formula

thats why it would feel wierd to spend money and buy a Formula Z when its essentialy the same board,

I am sure of that. As for those boards... The Formula is crap, but the other two are fine. The Gigabyte X79 UD3 and X79 UP4 are also good. 

oh? why is the formula crap?

i just got myself a 4tb harddrive.. and i found out that my current FX8350 platform was incompatible with the drive.

this sucks and i need to change mobo and processor..

does the intel socket 2011 X79 chipset support 4 tb drives?

I... I don't even...

My AMD Black Phenom X4 and M4A88-T motherboard support 4TB drives. That's what is running in my NAS right now. And all 4TB of the drive is seen.

What is wrong with your hardware? :| I think it's an OS issue. Not a hardware issue.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

oh? why is the formula crap?

It doesnt support all the RAM X79 can deliver, and the RAM is one of the main driving points of X79

I... I don't even...

My AMD Black Phenom X4 and M4A88-T motherboard support 4TB drives. That's what is running in my NAS right now. And all 4TB of the drive is seen.

What is wrong with your hardware? :| I think it's an OS issue. Not a hardware issue.

well the HDD does not even show upp in bios. (btw its a SSHD might be some vodo magic with that)

but it does show upp in my friends Intel 1150 platform.

i have Windows 7 ultimate.

It doesnt support all the RAM X79 can deliver, and the RAM is one of the main driving points of X79

aah ok. well its still quad channel but i see your point.

well the HDD does not even show upp in bios. (btw its a SSHD might be some vodo magic with that)

but it does show upp in my friends Intel 1050 platform.

i have Windows 7 ultimate.

Oh. Well that is just absolutely weird. My motherboard existed before 4TB drives did. Yet works with them. 

That's just weird.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

aah ok. well its still quad channel but i see your point.

True, but it only supports 32GB. 

Oh. Well that is just absolutely weird. My motherboard existed before 4TB drives did. Yet works with them. 

That's just weird.

yupp been scratching my head about that the whole day.. i think ASUS might have dropped all support for the board when the formula z came around.

True, but it only supports 32GB. 

yupp :P but that is enough for most aplications but i do get your point.

but anyways.. the MSI X79A-GD45 PLUS should have support then?

but anyways.. the MSI X79A-GD45 PLUS should have support then?

Yep, and if it doesnt, update the BiOS (which you need to do anyway to run a 48xx/49xx X79 CPU)

Yep, and if it doesnt, update the BiOS (which you need to do anyway to run a 48xx/49xx X79 CPU)

thanks.. i am just getting a bit paranoid and nowere can i find any info about the subject.

thanks.. i am just getting a bit paranoid and nowere can i find any info about the subject.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/#support you might find an update in here under drivers and tools, that can fix the issue

thanks, but i have already the latest drivers :( that was the first thing i checked:(

oh ok. 

ah crap. i am going for a 1150 platform instead,. thanks everyone for your imput..
will give this platform i am currently on as an uppgrade for my GF. hope she will be happy.