amd fx 8350 overclock

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
2 minutes ago, garry dhaliwal said:

msi 970 gaming pro is the motherboard

From a VRM point of view, should be good without extra airflow. You'll probably need a more powerful cooler to keep it at good temps. These chips are designed to operate below 65C at all times. 70+ is overheating and will cause throttling.

Something like a Cryorig H5, Scythe Mugen 5, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 etc. will do better than the evo. On the cheap, you could consider adding a 2nd fan.

0MHz. Don't bother.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It depends on the air cooler and the motherboard i think. Also, perhaps your PSU...

14 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

0MHz. Don't bother.

dont bother ocing for free performance on an architechture that needs it? okay dude lul

18 minutes ago, garry dhaliwal said:

what is the maximum oc ghz on air cooling for fx 8350 ?

its not easy to say, we can advise safe voltages for you but you just need to increse the multiplier until it crashes

its stable at 4.2ghz as for now.

bottleneck of cpu is there with gtx 1060 6gb

only 30 percent usage 

Just now, TheoR said:

It depends on the air cooler and the motherboard i think. Also, perhaps your PSU...

air cooler is cooler master hyper evo x v2 

psu is corsair cx750 

14 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

-Thread moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory. 

Why shouldn’t he bother?

Because the performance gain vs. the extra heat and power consumption isn't ultimately worth it. 

13 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

dont bother ocing for free performance on an architechture that needs it? okay dude lul

Free? A FX 125W chip with an OC is hardly free on the power bill :P 

31 minutes ago, garry dhaliwal said:

what is the maximum oc ghz on air cooling for fx 8350 ?

Right, non-troll answer:

It depends on your motherboard as well. If you have a board with weak VRMs there might not be any potential at all since the VRMs will throttle the CPU when they get too hot. A top down cooler configuration like the AMD stock cooler will partially remedy this. If VRMs are decently cooled and of decent quality, perhaps 4.5 is doable.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Because the performance gain vs. the extra heat and power consumption isn't ultimately worth it. 

Free? A FX 125W chip with an OC is hardly free on the power bill :P 

Right, non-troll answer:

It depends on your motherboard as well. If you have a board with weak VRMs there might not be any potential at all since the VRMs will throttle the CPU when they get too hot. A top down cooler like the AMD stock cooler will partially remedy this. If VRMs are decently cooled and of decent quality, perhaps 4.5 is doable.

2 minutes ago, garry dhaliwal said:

From a VRM point of view, should be good without extra airflow. You'll probably need a more powerful cooler to keep it at good temps. These chips are designed to operate below 65C at all times. 70+ is overheating and will cause throttling.

Something like a Cryorig H5, Scythe Mugen 5, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 etc. will do better than the evo. On the cheap, you could consider adding a 2nd fan.

2 fans push pull config. on hyper evo fans are from Scythe running at 800 rpm maintaining (30-40) +10 degree room temp . room temp remains around 25 degree.

On air I was able to get a good stable overclock at 4.5ghz on my 8350. Once I changed over to the DeepCool Captain AIO I was able to get 4.7 and stay well under 65c during stress tests. Depending on your chip you will probably see similar results. At 4.7ghz I have the voltage at 1.43 as well as increased LLC. There are some good YouTube videos on the process of overclocking the FX series chips. I'd search there for a detailed guide. Good Luck.

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+