My cousin sent me on a new quest.

Burz

Buckle up.

So yesterday I had my drumming exam for my first year learning drums. Later the same day, my mom and I (She has a car, I'm too young to drive at 17 in Uruguay,) had to pick up my cousin (17, too) from her boyfriend's house and take her to her home, AND back.

All was fine and dandy until we got back, and she casually (but purposefully) told me they had a computer that wasn't working. I instantly offered help suspecting it was something stupid like the cable being half-plugged or something. So for clearance, my cousin's boyfriend is REALLY poor and lives in a house the size of a small garage, and they were extremely excited because they had just gotten an oven, the size of a microwave, for Christmas, from my aunt (cousin's mom.) That's the level of wealth they have. Also for clearance, her boyfriend is into weed, as is almost stereotypical of poor people where I live.

So I go into their house, again, tiny room, and get impregnated by the thick and sweet smell of cannabis. Great welcome. It was late at night so I didn't pay much attention to what was around (Except they had a friend over.) I picked up the case, which by the way, already had the side panel removed, and got back in the car.

As soon as I get home, I pick it up and realize the case itself strongly smells of weed. This is when I start to joke around how "happy" I will feel when actually checking it out the next day.

I woke up today, rather late, in fact, and my mother, a teacher, had to prepare a guy from the school for an upcoming chemistry exam. I had left the case on the table so she had to move it away for class time. Once he was gone, she told me what she had to deal with. Not only did the case STILL reek of weed, she found a condom wrap inside along with a bunch more trash. This managed to pique my curiosity so I got up. Sadly, I tend to have a bit of a shitty short-time memory so I forgot about it instantly and didn't see it. Until about 30 minutes ago, when I remembered it was still there and I needed to see it. So this is what I was greeted with:

IMG_20171214_223629.jpg.2fb51360fac3dbb1343bed37bca688f4.jpg

Yes. The HDD is not plugged, the PC has no RAM at all, AND there is a bunch of McD dressing wraps along with the remains of a seemingly fun time with a strange balloon.

Now I have to fix it. I think the reason it won't turn on is the condom wrap is broken. Should I replace it maybe?

Also, on a serious note, I hope to be able to get it working and cleaned. If I do, I will update this post. As for the replacing condom wrap question, I think it would be a funny little gag to leave a few condoms inside once it's repaired, see how they react.

"Anything that could one day be is as real as what I'm saying
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way"

-John Frusciante

Yep, I don't see any ram, don't see any hard drive, don't see any graphics card (but graphics could be integrated), so you have quite the job ahead of you.  Maybe they don't want a repair, but a replacement.

this is terrifying.

like actually terrifying.

horror movie of the year.

why is there no RAM? Did you take it out or was there no RAM to begin with? (would explain why it wasn't working)

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Yep, I don't see any ram, don't see any hard drive, don't see any graphics card (but graphics could be integrated), so you have quite the job ahead of you.  Maybe they don't want a repair, but a replacement.

there is a harddrive, you can barely see it sticking out on the right side of picture and that motherboard uses an AMD apu so it has integrated graphics.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

There was no ram, the picture is the PC just laid out on the table. I know that's part of the reason it doesn't work lol. As for replacing, They basically don't want to spend a dime on it, so if  I can add RAM, plug in the hdd and get it working I'll probably give it to them for free. Christmas spirit and all

-John Frusciante

It's probaly cheaper to just buy a Optiplex for 50 bucks  then fix that

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

It's probaly cheaper to just buy a Optiplex for 50 bucks  then fix that

Uruguay prices are normally double the prices in North America, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

-John Frusciante

Just now, Burz said:

Uruguay prices are normally double the prices in North America, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Even with 40 dollar shipping it's still just a bit more expensive

My life

First of all OOF and 

F

okay, if you find it possible can you post specs of this " Battle station " lol

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I would first dip this in iso alcohol. Like FULLY. And then wear gloves and clean the rest. Maybe buy a pad lock for the side panel so this dont happen no more?

20 minutes ago, Burz said:

There was no ram, the picture is the PC just laid out on the table. I know that's part of the reason it doesn't work lol. As for replacing, They basically don't want to spend a dime on it, so if  I can add RAM, plug in the hdd and get it working I'll probably give it to them for free. Christmas spirit and all

You can probs get cheap ddr3 for that. 4 gb should be fine. maybe 8. and get a gt 710 or something if no display driver

6 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

First of all OOF and 

F

okay, if you find it possible can you post specs of this " Battle station " lol

Is a FM2+ mobo. Now you know what the possible cpus are. Not good anyway.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

12 minutes ago, Burz said:

Couldn't you search the Uruguay used market ?

because I have a feeling that mobo will be dead tbh, and they will blame you

4 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Is a FM2+ mobo. Now you know what the possible cpus are. Not good anyway.

just curious lol

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

just curious lol

ik

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

55 minutes ago, Burz said:

My god, i really gotta wonder why your cousin would be into someone like that. 

No wealth and poor self control on drug.

I'm guessing he's a rockstar band player? LOL

Just now, Burz said:

if you send me 55 USD I will send you an optiplex with a e8500 and AMD HD 5570 or something.

3 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

My god, i really gotta wonder why your cousin would be into someone like that. 

No wealth and poor self control on drug.

I'm guessing he's a rockstar band player? LOL

He doesn't have a job :/ Love is blind I guess?

-John Frusciante

i see no point of repairing this PC because chances are they will sell it off to feed their weed adiction

you are going to waste more time cleaning the PC and trying to get it to work

smoke actually corrodes PC components

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Man fuck this shit!

What you should have done was

. -special-offer-vps-gas-tight-hazmat-suit

2. Take computer and toss into

818E7COdwyL._SL1500_.jpg

3. Send them

322k.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I salute and respect you for trying. I personally would've probably done something diabolical like tell them what the problem was and leave it up to them to fix it and keep it in working condition they wanted it that badly.

That said, that is one heck of a job there. I would start by cleaning every inch of every component thoroughly. And then make sure it's all dry before trying to get it to post.

Shop around the used market and see if you can grab 4Gb DDR3 for cheap, and then throw Linux on the HDD.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Man fuck this shit!

What you should have done was

2. Take computer and toss into

3. Send them

322k.jpg

no point sending them money

they are going to use the money for weed

these ppl should be sent to rehab for their own good

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

21 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

i see no point of repairing this PC because chances are they will sell it off to feed their weed adiction

you are going to waste more time cleaning the PC and trying to get it to work

smoke actually corrodes PC components

Personally I'd just slap a stick of 512MB in there, reconnect the HDD and call it a day...

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

27 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

no point sending them money

they are going to use the money for weed

these ppl should be sent to rehab for their own good

That's not money. Do you get what that last picture is?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

bill, mate

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That's not money. Do you get what that last picture is?

i do not know

but how are you going get money when they are piss poor?

5 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

i do not know

but how are you going get money when they are piss poor?

1355331549061.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I guess that one of the first questions I would ask your cousin is how in hell did it get like that in the first place?

15 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I guess that one of the first questions I would ask your cousin is how in hell did it get like that in the first place?

OP mentioned both are high on weed

so my guess they just use it other than a PC.