Graphics Card Opinions Needed!

Hey guys, so I've been very torn lately because I currently have a 1060 3GB and it's just not really cutting it for my purposes. I have a 144hz 1080p monitor and while this card can put up frames well above that for esports gaming it struggles in others that I play such as Overwatch, PUBG, etc. where I don't really want to play on lowest settings just to get better frames. I'm considering upgrading over the holiday season but can't decide what is my best option. With the recent release of the 1070 ti this also makes my decision more difficult. As I see it, here are my options:

- Upgrade to a 1060 6GB (Not sure if the minimal upgrade is good enough)

- 1070 Ti

- Wait for Volta GPUs (next year)

What do you guys think I should do for 1080p 144fps+? I appreciate any input.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

I also should mention that one of my main reasons for wanting to upgrade is that my current card seems to sit at 82 degrees C under load which seems really high for a 1060.. It is the single fan model which makes sense so I was looking to upgrade to one that has a better cooler. Brand preference opinions will also be taken into account.

Meh some build specs...

if your card is hot turn up the fan speed. If you aren't going to manage the fan speed then don't be surprised when the card runs hot

I think 1070 ti is your best upgrade for your 144hz screen.

Its basically 1080 with the price of 1070.

And yes your avatar made me hungry -_-

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Cheapest option would be to get another 1060 3gb, and SLI it.  Improve case airflow or crank up the fans (maybe troubleshoot fan and replace?), because that is really hot for that card, something isn't right.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

5 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Cheapest option would be to get another 1060 3gb, and SLI it.  Improve case airflow or crank up the fans (maybe troubleshoot fan and replace?), because that is really hot for that card, something isn't right.

1060 doesnt support SLI.

In fact SLI is always a bad idea unless there's no single more powerful gpu out there.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

1060 doesnt support SLI.

In fact SLI is always a bad idea unless there's no single more powerful gpu out there.

Damnit Nvidia... Hadn't looked, figured it would since the 960 could (as I have).  My bad.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

I have a 1070 for 1080p 144Hz and it's great. A 1070ti would be slightly better an would allow everything to be maxed out! (What processor do you have because that can be a huge factor for 1080p high refresh rate gaming?)

34 minutes ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

Hey guys, so I've been very torn lately because I currently have a 1060 3GB and it's just not really cutting it for my purposes. I have a 144hz 1080p monitor and while this card can put up frames well above that for esports gaming it struggles in others that I play such as Overwatch, PUBG, etc. where I don't really want to play on lowest settings just to get better frames. I'm considering upgrading over the holiday season but can't decide what is my best option. With the recent release of the 1070 ti this also makes my decision more difficult. As I see it, here are my options:

- Upgrade to a 1060 6GB (Not sure if the minimal upgrade is good enough)

- 1070 Ti

- Wait for Volta GPUs (next year)

What do you guys think I should do for 1080p 144fps+? I appreciate any input.

The 6GB model of the 1060 range only brings a minimal performance increase over the 3GB model, only being 10% more performance and 10% more cores and clocked higher to gain a little extra performance isnt worth it. I'd go for a 1070/1070ti, its a great midrange GPU that will have a great performance bump from your current 1060 3GB. If you want the best performance, just get the 1080, if money is limited for you, a 1070ti is the next lowest I'd go, and if money is strictly limited, then the absolute lowest I'd go for a decent upgrade would be a 1070.

If you want 144fps+, then a 1080 would make more sense to get the most performance, but a 1070ti should be able to achieve this as well. Just get the 1080 is it suits your price range, it gets you the most performance you can get at a good gaming experience that can achieve 144fps

Honestly, just wait until the next series of Nvidia cards come out. Buying another card at this point in time would be wasting money value wise seeing as you already bought a 1060. Save up your money and maybe get a 1170 or whatever is released in the near future. 

In the future, just get a card that has 6-10gbs of VRAM because that's going to be the next GB needed for future titles. 

Thanks for all the opinions guys! So it seems most people think I should go with either a 1070 Ti or 1080. I'll probably see what is the best deal and go with that. Any opinions on brand/cooler style? I definitely won't be going with the single fan again even though it was cheapest.

Meh some build specs...