Broken Laptop: Part it out and recycle it or repair and sell it?

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte P34w v3 that I bought 2 years and 6 months ago. 2 Weeks ago, it met its demise and blew a resistor or a capacitor during gameplay. I removed the back cover and it began sparking and well it's more than dead.

Here's a shot of the motherboard. You can see there was a tiny fire.

20171125_014027.jpg

I have since replaced this laptop with an MSI GS63VR 7RF and now I am left with a choice. Do I part it out and sell various components or repair it and sell as a whole or use it as a back up?

I went to a computer repair shop and he said that this need to be sent to Gigabyte for a motherboard replacement (quite obvious haha) and that this might cost me 400 to 500 euros not including the fact that I also need to replace the battery (it has become swollen) so I'm looking maybe 500 to 600 euros of repair?

Spec wise, it's still pretty good for today's standards. It has an i7-4720HQ, GTX 970M, 16GB of HyperX DDR3 RAM, 500GB Samsung mSata SSD and a 1TB HDD.

Thankfully, the SSD and the HDD is intact and in good condition. I don't know about the RAM though because I don't have another laptop that has DDR3 SO-DIMM slots to test it out.

What are your suggestions? Part it out and recycle it? Or repair it and use it as a back up laptop or sell it?

Thanks.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you probably couldn't sell it for more than $700-800 with everything working. But you could probably sell the RAM for around $80, the SSD for around $120, and the HDD for around $35. Plus, you can likely sell the display and everything else for around $50-$100 (although that would probably be a hard/er sell). So I wouldn't pay that much to repair it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That thing is toast. try to sell it to one of those guys that repairs and re-sells laptops. You won't get much though.
Alternatively, see if you can find a motherboard and battery for less than 400 dollars, and fix it yourself. 

You could salvage the screen, if it's IPS you could turn it into a portable secondary screen like this guy did, pretty nifty