WD Black 2TB Odd Noise

gekco

So, this is a brand new 2TB WD Black HDD and it's making this strange noise on shut down that I've never heard before. Other than the noise on shut down it's making the regular HDD sounds a mechanical HDD should be making. The drive also passes on the SMART test.

You might need to turn up your sound to hear the sound. 

To to backup the drive friend, dont take any chance with that kind of thing. Also SMART can be really hit or miss as far as diagnostic goes.

if you look at the insides of a HDD you will see a disk and a needle/pin/arm thing. what the HDD is doing is moving the arm to the default place. just ignore it, its fine

Yeah, but I have a 4-6 year old 1TB WD Black and it doesn't make this noise at all. 

37 minutes ago, gekco said:

Yeah, but I have a 4-6 year old 1TB WD Black and it doesn't make this noise at all. 

Maybe contact WD support with a link to this video to get their opinion?  I'd immediately ring up support if I had a concern, but you should always have a backup regardless.

Contacted WD support on Dec 9th, and to this date still no response from them. I also ran the extended test, that all passed. My dad has another WD 2TB Black, model WD2002FAEX which makes no noise when it gets shut down. I have model WD2003FZEX which does make a noise on shut down. I'm wondering if WD added anything to this drive that allows the drive to make this noise... Maybe something that slows down the platters instead of them spooling down on their own?