SrtTrail Issue "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC"! Please help!

Hello!

My PC has encountered an issue where it turns on and blue screens before Windows even starts! It then quickly changes to a screen that says "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC"..."Press advanced options to try other options to repair your PC or shut down, to turn off your PC. Log File: F:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

I have tried to start in safe mode, and it turns on, however, I have been unable to start it any other way. When I try a system restore, my PC restarts and then blue screens again with the error "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED", and then the loop starts again.

Any ideas?

The only solution is a bootable Windows USB. You'll have to wipe your OS drive and install Windows again. 

You'll need access to another pc and you're files will be gone unless you have a backup of them somewhere. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

well if you have access to another pc, you can pull the hard drive out of the broken one and plug it into the working one to copy files.

try booting again, sometimes how windows work is unexplainable, don't give up just now it could work in 10-11 attempts.

also, can you access bios?

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

don't give up just now it could work in 10-11 attempts.

If its broken its broken. It if magically boots after this it is still broken af and he should get everything off of it if he even got that chance. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

If its broken its broken. It if magically boots after this it is still broken af and he should get everything off of it if he even got that chance. 

nah in electronics sometimes stuff does magically repair themselves xD i have first hand experience in haunted hardware (softwares most probably).

i had a laptop that died with a loud POP and smoke, brought to the repair shop, said it was dead, tried multiple times to have it to boot and the power button would'nt even light up, tried draining the charge and everything. Left it on the side for 2 years, then i attempted to repair it again, plugged it, pressed the power button and it worked, booted, and it still works fine.

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

nah in electronics sometimes stuff does magically repair themselves xD i have first hand experience in haunted hardware (softwares most probably).

An OS is not a software program that you want to be gambling with. He needs to reinstall, not let broken things fix themselves. 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

An OS is not a software program that you want to be gambling with. He needs to reinstall, not let broken things fix themselves. 

I've tried multiple times to fix my PC and put it back to a previous state, but it still isn't working, so I've decided to do a reinstall but using the keep my files option, as the issue is with System32, not my files. However, I have Windows 10 OEM, and I was wondering if you knew if I could re-install Windows using the same product key, or will I need another one, as it is an OEM version of the software.

Just now, ACYah said:

I've tried multiple times to fix my PC and put it back to a previous state, but it still isn't working, so I've decided to do a reinstall but using the keep my files option, as the issue is with System32, not my files. However, I have Windows 10 OEM, and I was wondering if you knew if I could re-install Windows using the same product key, or will I need another one, as it is an OEM version of the software.

If you are activated with your mobo and signed in with an MS account, Windows will be activated when you reinstall it as long as you do not change motherboards. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

If you are activated with your mobo and signed in with an MS account, Windows will be activated when you reinstall it as long as you do not change motherboards. 

Ok. Thank you very much!

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hey, so I just tried to reset my PC and an error message popped up saying "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made." Thoughts?

Just now, ACYah said:

Hey, so I just tried to reset my PC and an error message popped up saying "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made." Thoughts?

You need to download the Windows media creation tool and boot and install windows again off a USB. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You need to download the Windows media creation tool and boot and install windows again off a USB. 

??

This happened to me in my Windows 10 insiders preview.

Suddenly it wont reach windows and midway booting try to repair itself but failed.

I try every repair solution, reset, refresh etc. I thought there's something wrong with my memory, but its was not.

Browsing for solutions, and found out that many people experienced the same problem.

The only solution is doing a fresh install because system permissions and file already corrupt.

I really don't want to do fresh install / wipe format, as i don't have anymore disk to backup.

My solutions are:

- Make a win 10 creators update usb installer.

-  Boot to usb and select install

- Select "new installation", cannot select upgrade because you need to run installation from windows if you want to select this. Selecting this option will retain everything including programs. But since i cannot reach windows, my only option is new install.

- Select your current windows installation partition, DON'T WIPE / FORMAT, windows will install new system files replacing the old one, all your old files will be moved to "/windows_old" as a backup, no files are deleted.

- Go through installation and you'll get a new fresh installation of windows.

To restore your files :

- Create new user with the same name as before, create offline user first, if your previous system used "your_name" as a user folder, create exactly the same. This will create user folder with the same name as before, this is important step. If you make online account, the folder will named after your email.

- After first boot, copy all files from C:\windows_old\your_name to C:\users\your_name , this will restore all your personal files and programs settings.

- Reinstall every program that you need. You will see that if you run the program, the settings are back like before, eg. browser history, bookmark, cookies etc.

- After that, you can link your account to microsoft account.

Do this method first before you do any wipe / clean install.

No need to format if you're hdd is fine (you can check with chkdsk and look for bad sectors).

Sometimes problem like this got nothing to do with hardware / corrupt hdd.

Is maybe just microsoft give you a buggy system update.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Suddenly it wont reach windows and midway booting try to repair itself but failed.

I try every repair solution, reset, refresh etc. I thought there's something wrong with my memory, but its was not.

Browsing for solutions, and found out that many people experienced the same problem.

The only solution is doing a fresh install because system permissions and file already corrupt.

I really don't want to do fresh install / wipe format, as i don't have anymore disk to backup.

My solutions are:

- Select "new installation", cannot select upgrade because you need to run installation from windows if you want to select this. Selecting this option will retain everything including programs. But since i cannot reach windows, my only option is new install.

- Select your current windows installation partition, DON'T WIPE / FORMAT, windows will install new system files replacing the old one, all your old files will be moved to "/windows_old" as a backup, no files are deleted.

To restore your files :

- Create new user with the same name as before, create offline user first, if your previous system used "your_name" as a user folder, create exactly the same. This will create user folder with the same name as before, this is important step. If you make online account, the folder will named after your email.

- After first boot, copy all files from C:\windows_old\your_name to C:\users\your_name , this will restore all your personal files and programs settings.

- Reinstall every program that you need. You will see that if you run the program, the settings are back like before, eg. browser history, bookmark, cookies etc.

No need to format if you're hdd is fine (you can check with chkdsk and look for bad sectors).

I have 2 separate hard drives under different letters. Will I only be able to keep one set of these files or will only the set of files that I boot to be affected?

18 minutes ago, ACYah said:

Yes you can use the old key and activate.

If activation failed, use troubleshooting and choose "i made hardware changes recently" and it will solve itself.

If still failed, call microsoft and tell them you made new installation, they will reset your activation data.

As long as you keep your key, you can install windows as many times you like.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, ACYah said:

I have 2 separate hard drives under different letters. Will I only be able to keep one set of these files or will only the set of files that I boot to be affected?

I don't understand what you mean.

Just select your windows partition when making new installations.

So if youre windows is on C, select that partition.

You may see other / hidden partition on the same drive, ignore them and select the biggest partition.

Windows replace all corrupt system files and automatically backup your important files on the same drive under C:\windows_old.

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

My solutions are:

To restore your files :

Hey, so I am at the stage where I select Upgrade or Windows only. I selected Windows only but it says that Windows can't be installed onto any of my drives or partitions

This sounds like a problem I had with my computer. I would check to see if the BIOS is up to date. After I did that windows was fine. 

16 minutes ago, iamthecpu said:

This sounds like a problem I had with my computer. I would check to see if the BIOS is up to date. After I did that windows was fine. 

I found a solution :) When I booted into the USB, I booted into UFEI instead of the non-UFEI USB.

ignore them, it can be installed just select your biggest partition and continue.

it will warn you that your partition scheme not correct, it will say that the partition bla bla bla.

but if you can continue, you're good.