Best compression methods?

I need to upload my videos which are 1080p 60fps, but my files are like 4gb and my upload speed is awful

What's the best method of compressing without losing alot of detail

I wanna upload COD WW2 PC Edition

My specs

I7 6700

GTX 1060 3gb

16gb Ram

1tb Hard Drive

Lower the bitrate to where you are happy with the quality but any less you are not to make the files as small as possible.

Your files are probably encoded in h.264, in which case the only way of compressing them further without losing detail is using h.265, which is not supported by youtube. If they are not in h.264, use that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

VP9 is probably the best at the moment but will take a long time to encode and idk what program you would even use for that

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Heres Youtube recommended compressing settings like bitrate, codecs etc. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Also H.265 would take longer if time is a issue, but would produce a better looking image at a lower file size. Because YouTube's website will still always re encode your video to make it compatible for its site.

Hope this helps

I'd just use handbrake to compress them, it works really well for me.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

VP9 is probably the best at the moment but will take a long time to encode and idk what program you would even use for that

Handbrake supports VP9 encoding but beware!

It cannot use all CPU cores and is heavily single-threaded dependant... it will take quite a while to encode the video.

Before anyone can give you a half-decent answer you need to answer two questions:

1) Where did you get the footage from? If it's FRAPs then you will be able to compress it a lot without losing too much detail. If it's something like OBS or Shadowplay then you are most likely gonna have a hard time making it smaller.

2) How long is the footage? Just saying 4GB doesn't really tell us much. Is it a 1 minute clip? 10 minute clip? 3 hours? 4GB might be completely reasonable for your video length, but it might also be extremely unreasonable.

Depending on the length of your video file, you might not want to go below 4GB for a 1080p 60FPS video.

There is no point in having that high resolution and frame rate if you're just going to starve the video of bandwidth anyway.

If you transcode the video you can trade encoding speed for smaller file size. You might have to spend a lot time transcoding for a very small benefit though, and it might be better to just upload the original video to youtube because it will look better and be faster.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Before anyone can give you a half-decent answer you need to answer two questions:

1) Where did you get the footage from? If it's FRAPs then you will be able to compress it a lot without losing too much detail. If it's something like OBS or Shadowplay then you are most likely gonna have a hard time making it smaller.

2) How long is the footage? Just saying 4GB doesn't really tell us much. Is it a 1 minute clip? 10 minute clip? 3 hours? 4GB might be completely reasonable for your video length, but it might also be extremely unreasonable.

Depending on the length of your video file, you might not want to go below 4GB for a 1080p 60FPS video.

There is no point in having that high resolution and frame rate if you're just going to starve the video of bandwidth anyway.

If you transcode the video you can trade encoding speed for smaller file size. You might have to spend a lot time transcoding for a very small benefit though, and it might be better to just upload the original video to youtube because it will look better and be faster.

4gb for a 10 min video

I use OBS

Edited by cookie rager

2 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

I'd just use handbrake to compress them, it works really well for me.

Ah for me its messed with the audio making it crappy

3 hours ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Heres Youtube recommended compressing settings like bitrate, codecs etc. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Also H.265 would take longer if time is a issue, but would produce a better looking image at a lower file size. Because YouTube's website will still always re encode your video to make it compatible for its site.

Hope this helps

Idk if adobe premiere pro has h.265 but thanks tho

1 hour ago, cookie rager said:

4gb for a 10 min video

I use OBS

That's a pretty high bitrate, much higher than Youtube will store at 1080p.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.