Ethernet download speed too slow

DatNapk1n47

Hello! Recently I wanted to try the internet speed, and I saw that the upload speed was perfect (500MB/s), but the download speed was of 140-200MB/s over the 1000MB/s that pay for.  I contacted my ISP about this issue, but they said the speed was fine on their end. They even sent someone with a fast enough laptop to test the speeds. While they were not the full 1000MB/s, at least his test results were of 600MB/s. I tried reinstalling all the Intel WIFI drivers, the Killer Performance Ethernet drivers (and configuring the speed limits), and the Intel LAN drivers, but the speed results were the same. My sistem's (important in this case) specifications are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x

RAM: 64GB of GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3000Mhz 

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus x399 Gaming 7

Storage: Samsung 960 PRO M.2 SSD as a boot drive and a 2TB 7200RPM WD Black HDD.

Are you sure your units are correct? ISPs will advertise in bits per second, not bytes per second (and I believe most test sites like Speedtest do the same or at least provide both). So you may not really have 1 gigabyte per second speeds, you may only have 1 gigabit per second speeds.

Also the ISP may have been advertising total bandwidth, not necessarily which direction it's going. So if you have 500 Mbps up and 600 Mbps down and they were advertising 1 Gbps (or 1000 Mbps) of bandwidth, then technically they're providing you what they offered.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Are you sure your units are correct? ISPs will advertise in bits per second, not bytes per second (and I believe most test sites like Speedtest do the same or at least provide both). So you may not really have 1 gigabyte per second speeds, you may only have 1 gigabit per second speeds.

Also the ISP may have been advertising total bandwidth, not necessarily which direction it's going. So if you have 500 Mbps up and 600 Mbps down and they were advertising 1 Gbps (or 1000 Mbps) of bandwidth, then technically they're providing you what they offered.

Is that even allowed? most ISPs just say 500/500 or 1000/1000

and yes, the point about the bits/bytes thing is correct, @Memez4Dayz where are you seeing these speeds? (Downloading files is almost always measured in bytes while internet connection speed is measured in bits)

Also have a look at what task manager says (sort by internet usage)

00a83cbccb41dc5082c4bfe18f82f119.png

in the top right it displays the connection speed in mbits

3 minutes ago, mikat said:

Is that even allowed? most ISPs just say 500/500 or 1000/1000

Technically they're not wrong.

It's like when AMD says Threadripper has 64 PCIe lanes... but they don't stress four of those are used by the chipset bus and so you can't really use them.

23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Technically they're not wrong.

It's like when AMD says Threadripper has 64 PCIe lanes... but they don't stress four of those are used by the chipset bus and so you can't really use them.

They aren't wrong if you download and upload at 500 mbit/s at the same time but if you aren't uploading you should get the full 1000