3 GPUs 1 PSU

Mitch619911
Go to solution Solved by Mitch619911,
13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You'll want something with high efficiency and quality. Don't cheap out on a PSU, a bad one can fry your system, or even set it on fire if you stress it too much. 

Check the tier list. You'll want something that's at least tier 3: 

6 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Well, the 1060 3GB I see are usually single pin. Usually the adapters are two molex to PCIe plug.

I thought you had the 1060 6GB models (Usually what miners use)

I have a 600 Watt PSU and 3 GTX 1060 3GB card and want to run all 3 on one PSU, can I buy something like http://a.co/1kUZgjk to run 3?  Can the cables hold the power they need?

I do know max power for a 1060 is around 120 watts, right? So I should be good with 600 watt PSU.

Other specs:
CPU - http://a.co/5uFwbvL

RAM - 4GB
Hard drive - 180GB

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You can't SLI those, and your CPU can only do 2-way SLI anyway. There's no reason to run three of them. 

cryptomine ;)

What exact PSU?

The cables can work, but you have to be careful with them. I'd only use them if you know the PSU is of decent quality (even then, I still don't recommend it if the PSU didn't come with enough plugs for your set up to begin with)

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

What exact PSU?

The cables can work, but you have to be careful with them. I'd only use them if you know the PSU is of decent quality (even then, I still don't recommend it if the PSU didn't come with enough plugs for your set up to begin with)

This would be helpful xD
https://frys.com/product/9063727

1 minute ago, Mitch619911 said:

This would be helpful xD
https://frys.com/product/9063727

Yeah, this PSU only really does 500W on the 12+ rail (what GPUs use). Also, since it's tier 6 out of 7 on the PSU tier list, I'm guessing it might not actually be able to do all 500W. haha. There's probably a reason it only comes with two PCIe power plugs.

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, this PSU only really does 500W on the 12+ rail (what GPUs use). Also, since it's tier 6 out of 7 on the PSU tier list, I'm guessing it might not actually be able to do all 500W. haha. There's probably a reason it only comes with two PCIe power plugs.

That said, would it hurt to try? or should I just go out and buy a bigger power supply?

13 minutes ago, Mitch619911 said:

That said, would it hurt to try? or should I just go out and buy a bigger power supply?

Yeah, you can try, but I'd try to get some Molex to PCIe adapters too just to keep the load off of the PCIe ones that came with the PSU.

How many Molex plugs are used to power one 1060 3GB?

Yeah, you can try, but I'd try to get some Molex to PCIe adapters too just to keep the load off of the PCIe ones that came with the PSU.

5 minutes ago, Mitch619911 said:

How many Molex plugs are used to power one 1060 3GB?

Well, the 1060 3GB I see are usually single pin. Usually the adapters are two molex to PCIe plug.

I am running 3GB cards (I'm cheap and only see a small difference of profit)..

You'll want something with high efficiency and quality. Don't cheap out on a PSU, a bad one can fry your system, or even set it on fire if you stress it too much. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

6 hours ago, scottyseng said:

39 minutes ago, Mitch619911 said:

For your purposes, something like a Seasonic 750W Focus Plus would be a good unit. You can almost always find them on sale and they're very good.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||