Slow transfer from cloud

zasker55

Hey guys,

I'm noticing the transfer speeds from my personal cloud (my cloud ex2) being terribly slow, 45mins to copy a 600mb folder with an average transfer of 400kb/s. 

Can anyone advise how I could speed this up as I've got some rather large sample libraries (100gb+)I need to copy off there and at this speed it will take an eternity. 

Thanks

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz memory

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 
2x 1tb WD Black HDD's (raid 0)

you need to see what is bottle necking your network, it could be server based or your pc might not have a fast connection.

i don't really have a solution but are you transferring over wifi?

45 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

you need to see what is bottle necking your network, it could be server based or your pc might not have a fast connection.

44 minutes ago, Rubin Chen said:

i don't really have a solution but are you transferring over wifi?

Yes, I am transfering over wifi. Due to the location of the router and my pc I can't run a network cable, well, I would but it's not my house so I have to deal with wifi. 

Is it possible for the bottleneck to be the PC itself? I've transferred the same 600mb folder to my macbook and it completed it in 15mins (note the macbook is on the same desk as my pc). Could it be something to do with how I've mapped the network drive?

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

What is your internet rated. the capitalization of the b is very important, is it 400 Kbps or 400 KBps?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

12 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

What is your internet rated. the capitalization of the b is very important, is it 400 Kbps or 400 KBps?

My internet itself is rated at 100Mbps.

Surely that wouldn't affect it on one device and not another though?

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

3 minutes ago, zasker55 said:

My internet itself is rated at 100Mbps.

Surely that wouldn't affect it on one device and not another though?

slow WiFi can, assume you are using that.

was the transfer 400KBps or Kb because 400 KBps is 3200 Kbps.

a few things that can slow you down.

if you are transferring a bunch of small files, like text documents that can run slow on a HDD.

Your WiFi might be slow, you can check the network adapter to see what speed it is linked as.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

20 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

slow WiFi can, assume you are using that.

was the transfer 400KBps or Kb because 400 KBps is 3200 Kbps.

a few things that can slow you down.

if you are transferring a bunch of small files, like text documents that can run slow on a HDD.

Your WiFi might be slow, you can check the network adapter to see what speed it is linked as.

It was Kbs and it was a bunch of small files, the folder contains a load of small documents word/excel/pdf. So that was probably the cause? - I just find that strange how transferring the same folder but to my macbook resulted in a quicker transfer time.

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

1 hour ago, zasker55 said:

It was Kbs and it was a bunch of small files, the folder contains a load of small documents word/excel/pdf. So that was probably the cause? - I just find that strange how transferring the same folder but to my macbook resulted in a quicker transfer time.

firewall settings maybe???

add an allow from rule for the server

1 hour ago, zasker55 said:

It probably has to do with the wireless NIC in the different boxes. The one in the macbook could be stronger and more powerful than the one in your other computer.

Small files though will always transfer much slower.

What model Macbook and what's the wireless card in the PC?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

35 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It probably has to do with the wireless NIC in the different boxes. The one in the macbook could be stronger and more powerful than the one in your other computer.

Small files though will always transfer much slower.

What model Macbook and what's the wireless card in the PC?

The macbook is a  2015 macbook pro and the wireless card in the PC is the one included on the asus cross hair VI (x370) motherboard.

I'm almost certain it will be something to do with the PC, I only built it on Monday so may need to optomise or change something in the settings (it's my first foray into building after nearly a decade out).

46 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

firewall settings maybe???

add an allow from rule for the server

Ok, by that do you mean port forwarding or is that something else? 

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

Just now, zasker55 said:

The macbook is a  2015 macbook pro and the wireless card in the PC is the one included on the asus cross hair VI (x370) motherboard.

I'm almost certain it will be something to do with the PC, I only built it on Monday so may need to optomise or change something in the settings (it's my first foray into building after nearly a decade out).

Ok, by that do you mean port forwarding or is that something else? 

Yah, depending on the quality of the wireless card built into the board it might be having issues with signal.

I assume drivers are all up to date?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, depending on the quality of the wireless card built into the board it might be having issues with signal.

I assume drivers are all up to date?

It doesn't give any specifics about the wireless card on the motherboard other than it is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and yes, drivers are up to date. 

I've been having a look online and come across a site suggesting it could be to do with TCP autotuning and receive side scaling?

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

1 minute ago, zasker55 said:

It doesn't give any specifics about the wireless card on the motherboard other than it is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and yes, drivers are up to date. 

I've been having a look online and come across a site suggesting it could be to do with TCP autotuning and receive side scaling?

Possibly.

You can adjust those but it should push pretty good speed without needing to adjust them.

Where are the antennas located? Above the PC?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Possibly.

You can adjust those but it should push pretty good speed without needing to adjust them.

Where are the antennas located? Above the PC?

I won't mess with them then. As for the antenna that is on a speaker in front of the PC. 

I don't suppose it could be an issue with how I've mapped the drive(s) in windows?

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

Just now, zasker55 said:

I won't mess with them then. As for the antenna that is on a speaker in front of the PC. 

I don't suppose it could be an issue with how I've mapped the drive(s) in windows?

It shouldn't, drive mapping is pretty straight forward.

Let me ask you this, are you copying to a HDD on the PC and to the internal storage on the Mac?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Let me ask you this, are you copying to a HDD on the PC and to the internal storage on the Mac?

Ok, good to know I've not messed that up then. 

In both instances, the files were being transferred to the internal drives on both machines both with ssds. 

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

So heres the thing i still don't have a solution for you BUT!!! i can tell you from past experience that wifi does this with certain routers/network cards. I don't know why. I use to use a laptop and whenever i use my wd My Cloud storage, it is very slow (5-10mb/s). I know its still faster than yours but right now i switch to direct lan connection i am getting 30mb/s+ and over 150mb/s on my newer one. So yea i don't have a solution but i feel you bro!

Edit: FYI my wifi connection is 1300mbps so theoretically its as much as my wired is not more. and even if its not the full 1300mbps it should at least have enough for 300mbps of speed.

8 hours ago, Lurick said:

3 hours ago, Rubin Chen said:

So heres the thing i still don't have a solution for you BUT!!! i can tell you from past experience that wifi does this with certain routers/network cards. I don't know why. I use to use a laptop and whenever i use my wd My Cloud storage, it is very slow (5-10mb/s). I know its still faster than yours but right now i switch to direct lan connection i am getting 30mb/s+ and over 150mb/s on my newer one. So yea i don't have a solution but i feel you bro!

Edit: FYI my wifi connection is 1300mbps so theoretically its as much as my wired is not more. and even if its not the full 1300mbps it should at least have enough for 300mbps of speed.

Thanks... I tried changing the settings on the cloud this morning, it was using DHCP so I've set it up with a static IP. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to test it as I had to get to class so I will test it when I get home and update.

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 

Transfering the same file, the speeds are hitting upwards of 3MB/s at times and averaging at about 1.75MB/s.

Must have been something to do with DHCP and static IP? Either way it's much better than it was.

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's