Just a quick question to people who know about computers

James James
Go to solution Solved by Damascus,
1 hour ago, Nero Nikolaev said:

A quick update: I'm not sure if this affects the situation but people seem to get this wrong, the computer doesent just turn off instantly, first the graphics card fails then there is a pause and then the computer seems to just reset. Maybe its linked to the temperature if this is the case?

Nope, that's what we're talking about.  Try repasting the CPU cooler if you haven't anyway 

okay so im not sure if this is true or not, but im hoping someone can answer this. I recently bought a new graphics card, but quickly i noticed a problem. My PSU isnt delivering enough power to my new GPU and its causing the whole computer to crash when im using the GPU heavily, this has happende 4 times now. Can this cause any damage to the hardware itself?

abrupt shutdowns can kill your harddrive and you might damage every component that is getting power from the PSU.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

abrupt shutdowns can kill your harddrive and you might damage every component that is getting power from the PSU.

Well if my computer seems to work perfectly now it means there is no damage right, i have even cheked the memory and there seems to be no problems, right?

Abrupt power spikes are the easiest way to fry a motherboard, I would look into getting a new psu, though in the mean time you can reduce your GPUs power target in Msi afterburner 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

You should get a new psu, its not worth risking frying the mobo, damaging the hdd etc. 

April 2019 build

2200G / B450 Asrock Fatality / 8gb 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance Samsung 860 Evo 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Phanteks Eclipse P300Corsair CX Series CX650M /  Radeon Vega 8

6 minutes ago, Nero Nikolaev said:

Well if my computer seems to work perfectly now it means there is no damage right, i have even cheked the memory and there seems to be no problems, right?

Electronics aren't as simple as that. Sudden power loss could outright damage a component and cause it to stop working, or it could weaken the component over time so that it works intermittently, or fails at a later date.

For DC-based electronics, stable power is critical. It may not be the amount of power the graphics card requires but actually the quality of the power delivery itself. Your wall power could be dirty or your power supply may be of insufficient quality.

Would you kindly list the components involved?

Just now, Tiberiusisgame said:

It looks like you double-posted about this issue. You have a 1060 and a 450 watt PSU?

yea those posts were more about the problem this was about that it can do to my hardware

I have a corsair 450W powersupply 

i had a r9 270 that i replaced with the new gpu (gtx 1060 3gb)

i have a amd fx 4300 (yes i know the new gpu bottlenecks it, just got a good price on the gpu)

8gb ballistix ram

can be bothered to find out the motherboard name rn but its a gigabyte

Note: The computer is a couple years old so thats why the parts a old and cheap too

2 minutes ago, Nero Nikolaev said:

yea those posts were more about the problem this was about that it can do to my hardware

I have a corsair 450W powersupply 

i had a r9 270 that i replaced with the new gpu (gtx 1060 3gb)

i have a amd fx 4300 (yes i know the new gpu bottlenecks it, just got a good price on the gpu)

8gb ballistix ram

can be bothered to find out the motherboard name rn but its a gigabyte

Note: The computer is a couple years old so thats why the parts a old and cheap too

also i earlier today bought a CX650M to replace my old psu

Just now, Tiberiusisgame said:

Well then... go replace the PSU and see if the issue persists.

i meant that i ordered it earlier today, its gonna take a couple of days to arrive, but anyways thanks for all the replies. i really hope that it hasnt caused any damage cus i dont really have that much money atm :(

30 minutes ago, Nero Nikolaev said:

okay so im not sure if this is true or not, but im hoping someone can answer this. I recently bought a new graphics card, but quickly i noticed a problem. My PSU isnt delivering enough power to my new GPU and its causing the whole computer to crash when im using the GPU heavily, this has happende 4 times now. Can this cause any damage to the hardware itself?

Yes, when power is cut off the hardware can get damaged in a lot of different ways, you might want to upgrade before it fries itself and takes out half of your components with it.

A quick update: I'm not sure if this affects the situation but people seem to get this wrong, the computer doesent just turn off instantly, first the graphics card fails then there is a pause and then the computer seems to just reset. Maybe its linked to the temperature if this is the case?

1 hour ago, Nero Nikolaev said:

Nope, that's what we're talking about.  Try repasting the CPU cooler if you haven't anyway 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious